PDA

View Full Version : Good pets?

Emms
02-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Do winter whites make good pets, I am wanting 2 dwarf hamsters sometime this year and I spotted some winter whites in my pet shop and fell in love with them :)

Emma x

souffle
02-04-2007, 10:56 AM
They do make god pets but if you want any I can reccomend an excellent breeder near Newcastle and I would say better to get them from a breeder than a pet shop. Let me know if you need details.

Emms
02-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Would you find winter whites the best pets out of all the dwarf hamsters?

Emma x

souffle
02-04-2007, 02:07 PM
They are all nice in their own ways but on the whole winter whites tend to be slightly calmer. Campbells are available in more colours though but some colours particularly argentes are inclined to be a bit aggressive. My friend breeds both so she would discuss the most suitable for you.

racinghamster
02-05-2007, 05:55 AM
How about a rescue hammy? I have a single male winter white called Scooby who was in rescue for seven months prior to coming to me and I can tell you now, he`s the happiest, friendliest hamster you could meet! :) I would definately recommend winter whites.

I was apprehensive about having hamsters at all to be honest as I had not kept any since I was a teenager and I`m nearly 42 now! :oops:

I knew of some hammies in a rescue and decided to ask about having one as they all had to be seperated anyway for fighting. I don`t regret my decision now and am awaiting an Imac Fantasy cage off ebay for him to arrive any day now! He`s been living in a ferplast duna up until now.

So yes, do go for winter whites, whether from a breeder or rescue. Avoid pet shops because they usually get the sexing wrong for a start! Good luck x

Emms
02-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Thank you :)
It will be my first go with dwarf hamsters so I want to make sure I get the best (in handling, friendliness etc.) breed.

Emma x

Hana
02-06-2007, 11:10 AM
I have 2 winter whites, they are my first Dwarfs and they are great. I personaly think Winter whites are a good first dwarf hammy :D

babyboos
02-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Roborovski are more interesting to watch day to day but less hands on than Campbells or Winter Whites. Either of the later are excellent pets, especially when obtained from a good hobby breeder.