PDA

View Full Version : Do all WW turn white in winter?

Olive & Flurry's Mama
02-08-2011, 08:55 PM
I ask because it is most definitely winter here, and Flurry is most definitely *not* white. :confused:

I guess since I did get her from a pet shop she could be mixed with something else (Campbell's?), although from what I gather, she looks very WW. I have no idea how old she is, or how long the shop had her prior to me taking her. I didn't bother to ask as the lady who "helped" (and I use that term *very* loosely) us, very obviously hated her job and hamsters in particular so I didn't think she'd know anyway. :???:

Katty_Sheldon
02-09-2011, 02:36 AM
I think not all do. It depends on a lot of factors, and some of them simply dont do it, so dont worry. If she is from a pet shop she is probably a hybrid, but that does not matter as long as you dont plan to breed her - its just important she is healthy!:) So no worries:)!

KatiePillow
02-09-2011, 02:49 AM
It depends upon shortening hours of sunlight, and whether the temperature drops in the winter, if she's been kept on a shop, she's probably not had less light and the heat has probably been constant. A lot of WWs don't turn white simply because they're kept in houses with artificial light and heat.

Also, she is most likely a hybrid, a hybrid can be created by even one campbells being bred into the line, but she can still be on the WW side of hybrid (my hybrids are mostly campbells)

Hope this helps.

operationotohamstry
02-10-2011, 04:04 PM
My one WW doesnt, but thats only because of temperature. Though the one time when our heating broke and it got really cold in the house he did start to molt and change, but we try and keep the temperature here pretty stable, so I never experience any color changes.

Coalhada
02-15-2011, 02:49 AM
We have two WWs -- one of them did turn white shortly after we first got them but the other didn't.
However, this winter, when it actually has been quite cold by Hong Kong and hamster standards, neither of them has gone white, although their colouring has visibly changed.
You never can tell, I suppose.