PDA

View Full Version : Suitably safe and workable wood?

Pillow
02-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Hey folks,

I'm looking to create a few toys which mine and Katie's hamsters can maybe utilise.

Now I know a lot of man-made woods, such as MDF, use toxic resins to bind the wood-dust together, and would therefore be dangerous for a hamster chewing on it.

Does anyone know any suitable woods which can be worked (sawn, sanded etc) that is readily available in reasonable quantities? (DIY stores maybe?)

Thanks everyone. :)

SnickersTheFirst
02-07-2011, 11:03 AM
It depends what you was planning to make, Wofunny made some amazing toys from wooden Jenga blocks. :)

KatiePillow
02-07-2011, 11:36 AM
awwh ^.^ is chris.
And we know about the jenga, have also used wooden dowel pins.. but I think he wants to make a fortress (so pillow and alfie can stand on top and fire arrows at intruders)
:p

Is birch ply ok?

alexarcano
02-08-2011, 02:57 AM
As far as i am aware most materials are ok... so long as you plasticote them, or similar, after they have been sawn or cut, and fully assembled or any material thats already coated in plastic. I think the ply is a bit iffy unless you coat it afterwards, because (as you said in your first post of the thread) the glue used to bond the ply together is not exactly eddible.
I have seen some cool little houses and stuff built from lego. :)
How about a timber fort made from applewood chew sticks? would take a while to make but would look realy cool though ;)

Nappo
02-10-2011, 06:48 AM
Hey,
suitable wood is for example popplar ply wood or beech,surley youll get that from normal DIY Stores xD. You shouldn't use wood of pipfruit trees and pinewood.

Greets xD