PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

thorneloe0810
02-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Hi guys I need your help

I was in pets at home a week ago and there were some very pretty hammies so me being me I brought what I thought to be a male argente and a male saphire dwarf, I did what was normal, let them settle in for a few of days and then invited jesse and dawnm69 to have a peek. I have now found out that infact the saphire is a girl hence they are now in seperate cages.

She is starting to worry me slightly now as she keeps filling her food bowl with at least 2 inches of shavings, she is now alot larger than the male but was not when i first got them both, she has emptied her water bottle and when I got her out this evening I noticed some teats appearing, slightly more visable towards the genitle area and then very faint on her belly.

Is it me? am I seeing things? Is she to young to have babies?

I know its sounds stupid, its just I have never seen a pregnant hammy before and now the thought is in my head I dont know if I am making a fuss over nothing or it is really happening.

Please help I think I am going a bit looney

KatiePillow
02-02-2011, 02:45 PM
It's obviously a possibility,
but I had the same issue, a gender mixup, I noticed by seeing sandys nipples. and realised her and her brother were..well..brother and sister.
Her nipples weren't obvious when we got her, so I think she was too young to notice when we first got her.
She also buries her foodbowl constantly. I think it might be a girl thing..
She also carries her weight less well, and has always looked bigger than my boy, but I don't know if that's just her
Apparently dwarves don't show until the end of their pregnancies, and then they overflow at the hips

Just keep an eye on her, feed her extra protein treats on the off chance, wait 21 days..I'm sure it'll be fine, but obviously it's best to be prepared.

thorneloe0810
02-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks Katie, I am driving my neighbour nuts I think just an over imaginative mind I suspect, hopefully x

KatiePillow
02-02-2011, 02:59 PM
I imagined that sandy was pregnant too..turns out she's just chubby >.<
It's even harder to tell when they're a) new and also, b) young.. because they're still young, and you don't know how they'd act normally.
But yeah >.< also..sandy was a moody little one..so she'd bite me..and I was like 'they say hamsters get moody when they get pregnant! aahhh'
I've had her 3 months now, turns out she just likes to bite me >.<

thorneloe0810
02-02-2011, 03:04 PM
I imagined that sandy was pregnant too..turns out she's just chubby >.<
It's even harder to tell when they're a) new and also, b) young.. because they're still young, and you don't know how they'd act normally.
But yeah >.< also..sandy was a moody little one..so she'd bite me..and I was like 'they say hamsters get moody when they get pregnant! aahhh'
I've had her 3 months now, turns out she just likes to bite me >.<

Lol, I have decided to keep her partner as damon and call her alaina instead of stefan thought ha ha, she is not moody though, she is fine when being handled, but the odd thing that none of my dwarf's have ever done she seems to creep like she is hunting for something its very strange to watch

Maximus
04-11-2013, 02:03 AM
My two favourite things! Dwarf hamsters and vampire diaries!!
Maxi likes vampire diaries too, she sits watching it from my hand or her cage

Eriklover555
04-11-2013, 02:05 AM
lol, I was pretty worried about JJ being pregnant when I got her ^^ She's just so ... big! For a little dwarfie, she's awful fat. :P The only thing to do is wait it out, I guess.

shazzy
04-11-2013, 04:47 AM
This is quite an old post - from 2011!

Eriklover555
04-11-2013, 05:37 PM
This is quite an old post - from 2011!

lol, it is! I just read it cause it was in my "unread posts since your last visit" section. o.o rofl, I need to read the dates better ^^