PDA

View Full Version : How much mesh should be used?

genevieve
01-30-2011, 11:10 AM
So I have a bin/box for the robos I should be getting VERY soon :) and I'm going to need to use mesh. For Olivia (hybrid dwarf), I just leave the lid off; but Olivia's bin is going to sit on top of the robos bin, so the lid will need to be on theirs! Plus, the robos bin is not as high as Olivia's.

I am wondering, how much mesh do I need to use to make sure it's properly ventilated? It's about 380 square inches. So how big do you think the meshed area should be approx.?

EDIT: Also, where's the cheapest place to buy mesh? I was going to get it from Wickes because it's dirt cheap there but it's all sold out :'(

Gillzy
01-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Why not just make the whole top mesh, but put a cross of wood in the middle, for support for Olivia's cage?

But surely if Olivia's cage is on top then that will block off most of the air from getting in?

genevieve
01-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Why not just make the whole top mesh, but put a cross of wood in the middle, for support for Olivia's cage?

But surely if Olivia's cage is on top then that will block off most of the air from getting in?

No, Olivia's bin is smaller so it doesn't cover the entire top. I am wondering how much I should use because that will determine if I mesh the sides or the lid (where Olivia's cage isn't). I would do the wood thing, but it seems like it would be unnecessary hassle really. I like simplicity :)