PDA

View Full Version : Mites?

Hana
01-26-2007, 09:41 AM
I was looking at Smokey yesterday and he had lots of little white specks on him. I thought it could be mites, am I right?

Mum is reluctant to go to the vets unless its an emergency. Is there another alternative? Mite powder or something I can do for him? :cry:

Please help, thanks

souffle
01-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Are you sure it is not just sawdust? Try and get some of the white flecks on to a black card and see if they move. Mites will move around. It could be dry skin flakes. Dont treat until you are sure as the treatment can be trying for hammies.

Hana
01-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks for replying!
Can't wait till he wakes up, I will check then. I was trying to see if they moved yesterday but he is quite fast and wouldn't keep still :roll:

Hana
01-26-2007, 02:31 PM
I feel really stupid! I think it was just a bit of bedding or chinchilla sand :oops: There is nothing on him now and he is fine, sorry. I'm such a paranoid hammy mum!! :roll:

souffle
01-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Better safe than sorry Hana. It is great you notice everything and if there was anything wrong catching it early is the best way to hopefully get it sorted before any harm occurs :lol: We check over everyone daily, eyes, ears, limbs, tummies and botties!!!

racinghamster
01-27-2007, 03:25 AM
Hi Hana. You were right to check this because if you ever do see little things moving around, these will be LICE, not Mites! Mites are microscopic and cause lots of itching and fur loss/patchy areas.

If you ever do have an outbreak, you and mum can go to Pets At Home and buy the Beaphar anti-spot on treatments for hamsters and gerbils. This contains Ivermectin (which is what the vet uses) and you just put this onto the back of the hamster over a three week period once a week. The pack will tell you how much the hamster should weigh before using it however.

Hope this helps. x

SnuggleHam
01-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Glad it didn't turn out to be anything to worry about :) better safe then sorry! I'm glad you asked anyway, even if it turned out to be something silly :)

Hana
01-27-2007, 10:57 AM
hehe thanks everyone, I worry about everything :lol:

Jill Bayles
01-28-2007, 03:27 PM
I've learned some more useful information by reading this. This mite business worries me but at least I know what to look for and how to treat anything I may find.

I love this forum :!:

souffle
01-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Mites are really not very common Jill and are seen more often in summer and in hamsters with hay as a bedding or animals whose immune systems are poor. If you use bedding from a reliable source (Wilkinsons is good and very well priced especially the couloured J cloth bedding and the shavings) you are unlikely to have any problems. :lol:

racinghamster
01-29-2007, 03:21 AM
I never use hay because of the mite risk and I thought it was dangerous for hamsters anyway incase it pierced their pouch? I just use ripped up plain white toilet tissue (the cheap stuff!) and hamsters love it. :)

I do give hay to my gerbils, but they shred it and use it as bedding, although I only give it now and then, not all the time.

souffle
01-29-2007, 04:29 AM
We dont use hay but I do know that there are some people who do. It is best to use the very soft meadow hay if you do but I wouldn't use it. Wild hamsters do use plant material bedding. The risk of pouch pierceing is always there as it is with some of the sharper seeds and shells from surflower seeds etc but I guess in life all animals take some risks with what they eat and how they live. Always keep a close eye for any signs of swelling in the pouches or not eating etc as they can get pouch abcesses which need vet treatment.

Jill Bayles
02-06-2007, 05:23 AM
I bought some of that stuff called "spot on"...just in case...I'm always prepared for every eventuality...I can't cope with doing things on the spot...it sends my world into chaos :lol: :!: :wink:

Emms
02-06-2007, 08:28 AM
We had a bother with mites with the guinea pig due to the hay, you have to be careful what hay you buy because some brands contain hay mites and they are a real pain to get rid of! Luckily none of my hammy's have had mites.

Emma x

Hana
02-06-2007, 10:15 AM
My rabbit has had mites because of his hay, I'm just glad Smokey didn't have them in the end! :D

babyboos
02-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Is it the Spot On by Bob Johnston? Orange card? If so tehn please take it back if you can as it is pretty ineffective.

A vet will probably use IVOMEC (Ivermectin) for mites....Three treatments over three weeks.

You can buy a drug called XENEX over the counter from your vet, if you wanted to go that route...or.....A treatment from Pets at Home which contains Ivermectin. It is called ANTI-PARASITE SPOT ON (For hamsters and gerbils) by Beaphar

Everyone please note - If you buy an over the counter remedy....Remember to use one third dosage (to be safe) for a dwarf hammy (They are usually geared to Syrians)