PDA

View Full Version : Gerbil with a SGT :(

SnuggleHam
01-24-2007, 11:35 AM
One of my female gerbils who lives in a clan of four has developed what looks like a scent gland tumor. Ive been doing some research and am convinced that is what it is. I noticed this some time ago and have been monitoring it closely.

When I first noticed it, it looked very similar to an outward belly button. But it was a normal fleshly color and didn't appear to be oozing or anything like that. It also never seemed to bother her. Over this past week I discovered that its really gotten much bigger, though it doesn't seem to phase her at all still.

from what I have read the tumors don't seem to physically bother the gerbil to much until it gets to large, or oozes or rubs against things in the cage. Its suppose to be common on older gerbils, but mostly males. It seems as though once the SGT gets large enough that is when a vet surgically removes it.

Besides the STG she otherwise looks healthy, active bright eyes, good apatite and so on. The other gerbils don't pick on her or anything either, which is good.

I called a few places to see what their visitation prices were and decided on one near home. Its was the more expensive of the few I called. The visitation price is $48.00, but I've been there before with an ill hamster and veterinarian was wonderful. Id rather pay a bit extra with a vet I feel good with. Plus I like that the office is close to my home.

They weren't able to give me an estimate price based on the removal of the SGT, which is understandable since cases vary from patient to patient. So once I raise enough cash for the vet visit Ill be taking her in. From there Ill have to see what I'm going to do for treatment, how much it will cost and how to get the money etc.

Intense125
01-24-2007, 12:07 PM
So glad you found a vet nearby! Please keep us posted on her progress!!

racinghamster
01-24-2007, 12:56 PM
I always thought SGT`s were more common in male gerbils too, but I`ve read a few posts on gerbil forums about females having them too.

Apparently, these tumours can grow internally too, so I would have her seen as soon as possible SnuggleHam. These lumps can be removed successfully and when the wound heals up, you would`nt know it was there!

Do you think she will be able to go back with the three others once she`s been operated on? Gerbils are notorious for de-clanning and when I ever have to attend a vet (touches wood...!) I plan on taking the cagemate along too to prevent this. I witnessed one of my ill gerbils (now sadly departed) de-clan with his brother within a day of not being able to SEE him because his eyes were caked shut from sleeping too much. I bathed his eyes gently and within hours, he was leaping to attack his brother. :( he died during the night and Grub was left on his own.

Two weeks later, I introduced a very young male to Grub, who he immediately loved! I was so lucky to find wee Munchie as a companion after Dibble passed on.

Sorry for rambling on.....I just thought I would mention the seperation thing and how it could/might cause a de-clan. I hope it does`nt. x

souffle
01-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Oh poor little thing. At least she does not seem to be in any distress and heres hoping it does not progress to anything very quickly. Vet prices are expensive in America. In London it is very pricey but we are not so bad in the north. Hope she is Ok and you have a windfall Snuggleham!