PDA

View Full Version : Conker - Chest Infection is back :-( - UPDATE

suga
01-24-2007, 12:24 AM
I had a phone call yesterday from my oh to ask if we had any medication left for Conker. When I got home from work I found that she has developed her nasty cough and is wheezing, sneezing and squeaking (like a squeaky toy) :-( not being a vet and all that but I think I guess that the chest infection is back. So I cleared away everything around her cage, changed the water, got the vicks out, the hot water bottle, extra bedding and baytrill.

The baytrill says 0.1ml with 0.4ml of water to dilute - it always seems like such a lot of liquid to get into something so small, especially as the second she saw/noticed the syringe with the meds in - her paws went up to her face and started batting it away. I guess the dillution is to weaken the strength of the medication, can it be taken neat so to say? Just think if it can be it would be less traumatising for Conker as the syringe will only be there for a short while, 1 quick squirt and its done - if you get my meaning. I may have to call the vet and ask the question...she won't take the baytrill mixed in baby food - she must be able to sense it - so its a fight of hamster against human :-( She is so strong and it is a battle - but so far I am winning.

She had her first dose last night and another this morning. I've just changed the drinking water over and renewed the hot water bottle. I will come home from work at lunch time to change everything over again and will try and get some different baby food for her to try as getting around appears to be a bit of an effort.

I can't believe that this is happening again. She was so ill in the summer last year and it took weeks to get her back to her normal self again - although she has squeaked ever since. I did say to oh last night that if she hasn't improved with the medication that we will be back to the vet and that I will be sleeping next to her - so I can keep an eye/ear on her during the night..... arrrghh

I worked out last night that she is probably about 18 months old now, which is a good age, but not good enough :,( she's in her nest now - wimpering......... :((((

racinghamster
01-24-2007, 02:57 AM
Hi suga. Definately don`t dose the drinking water with Baytril because it`s too dilute and she might not drink because of the taste.

I`ve never had to use Baytril on a hamster, but with mice, I take a small bit of rich tea biscuit, place the dose of Baytril onto the broken edge of the biscuit and let it soak in. Wait until it`s stickiness is`nt there and offer it to Conker. She should take it, but if she knows the taste, she might detect it.

0.4ml does sound a lot for a hamster, but to be honest, I would ask your vet. He will listen to her chest and detect what`s going on. I would keep the dose going for a few weeks because five days or so is`nt really long enough. In rats, it`s at least three weeks and even longer! The main thing is to keep going until the symptoms are gone altogether as the weaker bacteria will be killed off first.

This is something I want to find out more about in hamsters because I`m so used to dealing with respiratory ailments in rats and mice! :roll:

suga
01-24-2007, 03:17 AM
The dose is 0.1ml of baytrill with 0.4ml of water. I hadn't thought of biscuit - probably cos I don't have any in the house. I am going Conker shopping at lunchtime so will pick some up, along with more vicks and baby food. Obviously this is the 2nd time she has had this infection and although she did recover quite well from the first one I don't know how much a little body can take. :cry:

I have read that you can assist in treating respiratory infection with subutomal - but don't know anything about this.....

souffle
01-24-2007, 04:06 AM
You really need to contact the vet. The Baytril may be out of date now and not have the correct effect. We have given it neat but that was on the vets direction and yours may be a different strength from ours. Yes Conker is sadly getting older now and her immune system will be weaker so more prone to catching things. I hope she improves. You are doing everything you can and she knows it for sure.

suga
01-24-2007, 04:37 AM
The baytrill is actually a new batch if you know what I mean as I picked it up from the vet..... but I will call the vet and book her an appointment.

Edit: we have an appointment tonight with the vet...

SnuggleHam
01-24-2007, 05:38 AM
Sorry to hear about poor conker :( I hope that you are both able to get though it. All hamsters seem to give their owners trouble when it comes to giving them medication, especially with a syringe. I guess in those situations we just have to remember we are the dominant species and we can make them take their medication! :P Even if they done like it and put up a huge fight, its better for them in the end to have taken it.

To bad they don't have baytril in the form of a shot?

suga
01-24-2007, 06:32 AM
She has had a shot before when she's been in to the vet for the same sickness - so a shot may be the way the vet decides to go. Whats more frustrating is listening to her breathing. I called home a while ago and my oh sounds a tad upset :cry:

souffle
01-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Poor wee lamb. Their tubes are so tiny that it really does not take much to make them wheezy and have difficulty breathing. I would take her to the vet in her own well wrapped cage to try and lessen the stress. Let us know how she does :?

racinghamster
01-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Sorry suga, I misread your post on the Baytril dosage! Baytril is broad spectrum and is the one antibiotic that is licenced for use in small animals and rodents. I don`t know which viral/bacterial causes hamster respiratory illnesses derive from, but it might be worth doing some research into this?

Rats and mice for example carry Mycoplasma Pulmonis from birth and this is a chronic, normally subclinical bacteria. I don`t know if hamsters are carriers or not. I don`t think they are but I`ll check for you.

Hope everything goes okay at the vets and Conker makes a quick recovery. x

Edited to add: Just remembered, Baytril injections can cause a `burn` at the injection site, so watch for any signs of a scab forming where it was injected if this is how the vet chooses to administer it. I prefer orally, although I can imagine injecting it would get it into the bloodstream quicker. x

suga
01-24-2007, 11:25 AM
We have just got back from the vet. Conker tried to take the vets hand off but once calm was quite good. She has been given a new course of baytrill which I am just going to go and give her in a minute.

I went out earlier and got different baby food for her and have it stacked in the cupboard. How many days will it last though once opened?

Racinghaster - not today but I will have a look as you suggested on the web......

Got to dash as I want to go and get her settled and get some baytril into her - but obviously wanted to update you too.....

Thanks for reading :-(

SnuggleHam
01-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Glad you got conker in so fast. I hope that things go well and she recovers smoothly. :)

Intense125
01-24-2007, 11:44 AM
My Macy was treated for a respiratory infection with antibiotics in October 2006, and her main symptom was squeaking (like a squeaky toy, like you mentioned). Things seemed to clear up in about 3 week's time, but she started gaining weight and getting sluggish in December 2006. We took her to the vet when we noticed tumor-like formations on both sides of her abdomen, and she was diagnosed with an advanced pyometra infection of the uterus (thus, the protrusions on both sides of her body...the uterus is V-shaped in a female ham). The reason I'm telling you about this is because my vet said that somehow this pyometra infection can first present as a respiratory infection, and I also later found a medical reference that linked the 2. You may want to mention this to your vet, especially if you notice weight gain or an enlarging abdominal area in Conker.

I hope she responds nicely and quickly to her treatment, and keep us posted!!

souffle
01-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Yes get well soon Conker. We keep baby food in a sealed jar for no longer than 36 hrs in the fridge once opened. You can heat it a tiny bit if it is too cold straight out the fridge. Intense is right , pyometra can be contracted through a respiratory infection so watch her closely. We are all rooting for her.

racinghamster
01-24-2007, 12:38 PM
I know Pyometra in female rats is linked to Mycoplasma Pulmonis bacteria as I mentioned previously, but in hamsters I don`t know. It mainly exists in a rats upper respiratory system (as in mice too). It remains subclinical (no symptoms apparent) unless the immune system is immunosuppressed by illness or drug therapy. This is when secondary infections such as Pasteurella can occur (again, another opportunistic pathogen) that can cause conjunctivitis and other symptoms, aswell as respiratory.

My next mission is to do some research on respiratory problems in hamsters and how best to treat them, although many vets will only prescribe baytril (enrofloxacin) as it`s all they seem to be able to use in rodents, unless they have other ideas!

Cuddles to Conker suga and I hope you see an improvement within a few days. I would keep her on Baytril for at least, two weeks and see your vet again before it runs out incase she needs to be on it longer. Especially if you see an improvement. Stopping too soon could cause a relapse.

suga
01-25-2007, 12:52 AM
Well she didn't take the baytril mixed in "rice pudding" baby food. We went back to the syringe method and she hates me once again. She is making quite a bit of noise but is sleeping at the moment. I've changed everything over again and oh will be keeping an eye on her during the day.

thanks guys - will update again but must get ready for work now...

suga
01-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Its now sunday evening. I have tried loads of different foods and liquids to disguise the meds in but to no avail. So syringe method it is and it seems to be helping. She has not been coughing so much today and I therefore cleaned her out. She remade her nest quite quickly and it didn't seem to making her cough or wheeze any extra. So I think she is improving some :)

When I was transfering her from cage to box whilst she was being cleaned she decided to take mouth my thumb knuckle. I was very surprised as she's not done it before. I don't know why she did it, I don't think I smelt of food or whether she just recognised my hand as the one with the syringe normally in it and decided to remind me that she wasn't enjoying the meds. She didn't draw blood and it didn't really hurt, just surprised me. :?

Weird eh??

SnuggleHam
01-28-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm glad that your ham seems to be doing better :) thanks for the update, and be sure to keep us posted further!

Not sure what you mean by "she decided to take mouth my thumb knuckle" though? :?

souffle
01-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Glad she is improving. Sometimes when they dont feel quite right they might nip. Im sure she didn't mean it badly.

Hana
01-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Glad she is on the mend! Hope things continue to be good :)

suga
01-29-2007, 12:36 AM
Not sure what you mean by "she decided to take mouth my thumb knuckle" though?

I can only really explain it as she was sitting in my hand with her head on the top part of my hand (if you hold your hand out vertically in front of you with your thumb on top) she kinda opened her mouth and wrapped it round the top part of my thumb - bit like a baby might mouth its fist when hungry....... weird - (you are doing the vertical hand thing aren't you?) LOL LOL LOL

SnuggleHam
01-29-2007, 05:51 AM
Haha... okay thanks for clearing that up :) I think it was the "knuckle" bit that confused me lol

suga
02-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I wanted to let you know that wee Conker is doing much better, she is still coughing a bit but is a happier ham again. I think its something she will obviously suffer with from time to time and hopefully we are getting better at treating it now.

You may remember ages ago now, that I posted that she had lost the fur from her hind leg. Well it has come back :D - she's looking as good as ever! I did wonder if it was due to stress perhaps from when she was poorly in the summer last year, or whether it's a side effect to the baytril. I am keeping an eye on it as she's still on the meds at the moment just to see if it starts coming away again.

The white belly fur is looking a bit thicker and the underneath of her neck doesn't look like scrawney.

Over all she's almost back to her old self - yippee - we are soooo pleased....

Thanks

Hana
02-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Yay! Great news, thats really good :D

souffle
02-02-2007, 11:49 AM
I am so pleased that Conker is feeling better. You are a treasure of a mummy to her. Hope she continues to do well :lol: :lol:

Intense125
02-02-2007, 01:11 PM
This is great news, and I see from the photo contest that she is absoulutely adorable!!

suga
02-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Thank you :D

racinghamster
02-03-2007, 12:22 PM
That`s heartening news suga I`m pleased to hear that. It`s horrible when they fall ill or give cause for concern. You feel so bad for them because they are such small wee furries.

Hugs to Conker from Scooby, Tiny & Tubs! x :)