PDA

View Full Version : Imac Fantasy Cage?

racinghamster
01-21-2007, 06:52 AM
I`m thinking ahead to the warmer summer months where last year, it got way above 80c and since my three hamsters are currently in Duna style cages, I wanted to look into a barred cage for Scooby, my winter white.

I`ve been considering one of the Imac Fantasy cages, as it has a plastic base and removable lid, but most importantly, has bars running around the whole cage for better ventilation. I run my floor standing fan in the summer, which helps circulate warm air and I plan to move both roborovski Rody tanks downstairs if need be during the warmer weather at nights.

Does anyone use Imac Fantasy cages for their dwarfs? What do you think of them? x

SnuggleHam
01-21-2007, 07:03 AM
I don't have a cage like this.. my question would be, what are the floor dimensions of the cage? and are the bars small enough so the hamster cant escape and hurt itself.

Im usually against any kind of wire cage because it always seems to lead to bar chewing. But that problem has been with my syrian hamsters. I'm not sure if dwarf hamster usually make bar chewing a habit or not?

racinghamster
01-21-2007, 07:12 AM
The bar chewing aspect does worry me I have to say. But I`m willing to give it a try and if he does start bar chewing, I can always put him back into his Duna!

The Imac Fantasy dimentions are 23" long x 15" wide x 15" tall. These are in inches. So slightly bigger than the Duna tank he`s currently in. If I could post a link to the cage, I would! I don`t know if anyone on here has one, but they are nice, spacious cages and can be `added` to. You can have a lower level, another level on top and even another level on top of that!

I`ll just be needing the one level for Scooby!

Edited to add: The bar spacing is safe enough for mice on this cage, so no chance of escaping.

SnuggleHam
01-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Oh that cage sound plenty big for a dwarf hamster! It actually sound a bit larger then a ten gallon, or my crittertail cage, it looks like this...

http://www.hamstercentral.com/images/myhammies/crittertrail01.jpg

I agree it couldn't hurt to buy one and give it a try. Worry about bar chewing later I suppose, that is if it occurs :) I does sound more ideal especially if you have very warm summers.

racinghamster
01-21-2007, 09:00 AM
I found a link to the cage!

http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/detail.aspx?id=1847

If you click on `enlarge image` to get a better view, you will see how large it is. You can buy externsion kits to add on top aswell. x

SnuggleHam
01-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Oh it has a top level too! that looks like a fun cage for a dwarf hamster :)

Hana
01-21-2007, 10:29 AM
I have a Imac Fantasy and I love it! Snowy and Smokey used to be in it when they were together but at the moment it is not being used. I will move Snowy into it in the summer because his bin will be too hot for him.

As mine are winter whites i wouldn't worry about the amount of room and stuff it is fine! And I havn't experianced any bar chewing accept for once when I didn't realise snowys wheel wasn't working and he chewed the bars all night, I soon fixed it though.

So I would definatly say go for it! I love the Imac fantasy and So do my winter whites! :D

suga
01-21-2007, 10:32 AM
I think these cages look quite good. I did consider one for fuzee but decided against it as I wasn't convinced on its size for a syrian, although obviously syrains are kept in them.

Seems to have lots of areas to keep a hamster entertained in..

racinghamster
01-22-2007, 02:26 AM
Thanks Hana. I`ve got a bid on one right now on ebay :oops:

I liked the cage because of it`s size, ventilation and the fact that it could be added to if I wanted to in the future. Glad to hear your russians loved theirs! :)

Hana
01-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Thats ok, Hope you win! :D

It took them a while before they figured out how to get up the tube, but now their fine with it.

racinghamster
01-23-2007, 12:34 PM
I think Scooby might like trying to discover what`s at the top of the tube! However, if he`s too thick to discover how to get up or down, I`ll just remove the tube and let him live in the lower half! Right now, he has discovered that he has a Kabob with a bell on the end and is trying to climb up that as though it was a rope! :roll: Well I did say he was a bit...eccentric, shall we say?!!! :lol:

Hana
01-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Hehe :lol: Snowy isn't very good at going up the tube because hes a bit of a faty :wink: Smokey was better at it, but smokey can get around better because he is thinner. I think Snowy needs to go on a diet :oops:

racinghamster
01-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Well since I don`t know how wide the tube is on this cage, I`m hoping it`s at least wide enough for Scooby to get up and down! I don`t think the manufacturers of these tubes understand that there are some hamsters out there who like thier food shall we say? :roll: :lol:

I`ll let you know if I win the cage. x

racinghamster
01-31-2007, 04:52 AM
YIPEE!! I won the cage for Scooby! :P Well not the first one I bid on because some smart alick outbid me :x but another Imac fantasy came up and I just won it this morning! Total price with postage £22.89p so not too bad. I nearly got caught near the end of the auction but the other person did`nt manage to surpass my maximum bid! :wink:

So next week, Scooby will have his new cage and Tiny the roborovski will move into the Ferplast Duna! :) So happy.

SnuggleHam
01-31-2007, 05:31 AM
Congrats on the win ;)

racinghamster
01-31-2007, 06:33 AM
Thanks Snuggleham. This cage will add a bit more space inside for him and also allow him to climb the internal tube because he`s a bit restricted with climbing in the Duna and this should be much better for him. I gave him a cardboard egg box yesterday with a few holes cut into it and he was climbing all over it!

Tiny the roborovski will then benefit and move into Scooby`s old Duna cage, which for a robo is better than the Rody tanks as these are slightly smaller with no shelf, so Tiny will absolutely love it. :)

Hana
01-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Yay! :D Glad you won it, hope scooby likes it I'm sure he will! :D

Jill Bayles
01-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Marvellous!

I daren't bid on ebay for fear of not winning as I'd be sooooooooo disappointed if that happened :cry: :wink:

racinghamster
02-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys! I`m like a kid on Chritmas morning now waiting on this cage to arrive! :x I think I`m more excited than Scooby will be when he sees it! It will make a huge difference because he stands there up on his back legs, peering at me through the perspex and I can`t interact with him unless i take the lid off the duna. This fantasy cage has the drop down door on the front and also, I can feed him a few sunflower seeds though the bars! I know...naughty!

He loves to climb and the internal tube inside this cage should be of endless fun for him, but safe at the same time. x

Jill: ebay is great fun and as long as your not a bad loser, you should give it a go! If you see something you like, you can place a `Maximum Bid`. That`s the maximum you are willing to pay for the item and whoever bids against you would have to surpass your bid in order to win. If they don`t manage this, you win the item for less or your actual bid if the other person had bid up to your actual amount!

You don`t need a Paypal account either. I pay for everything by personal cheque and sellers also accept postal orders and bankers draughts. I closed my paypal account because I was`nt using it. x

Bailey-Benji
02-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Congrats!

I have that cage and its great!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/Bailey2510/newcage.jpg

(That's before Benji moved in, the tube needs to be pushed into the hole though and I hadn't put any carefresh on the top before I took the picture)

It's a great size, Benji can fit up the tubes fine. He never figured out the tubes so I put him in the top and he slid down. Now he is fine.

On the top, you need to put a little bit of tape on the circles as some clever hamsters (usually syrians because they are bigger) can twist them off and escape.

Good luck with your new cage.

Mine cost 38.99 pounds (sorry cannot find the pound sign :P) from a garden centre but I needed it quick.

Hana
02-01-2007, 11:58 AM
What I also like about having the imac is that it can be re-arranged quite a bit, eg. moving the tubing so it faces another direction and turning the whole top section so insted of the bed bit in the bottom right corner to the top left. Snowy likes it when I change it around it gives him something to explore :D

racinghamster
02-02-2007, 02:43 AM
That`s great guys! Thanks for posting the photo Bailey! I can`t wait until Scooby gets into his! I just know he`s going to love it. The seller recieved my payment yesterday, so I should have the cage mid-week sometime. :D

racinghamster
02-07-2007, 06:05 AM
Well the cage arrived fine, but after much excitement, Scooby is back in his Ferplast Duna. His Silent Spinner made more noise in this cage for some reason and although he got up the internal tube, I was`nt sure he could get down again comfortably because he would hesitantly go into the downward facing tunnel and drag his legs out behind him and then drop into the tunnel, which to me, did`nt look safe for him. After much thought, I decided to put things back as they were after only having him in this cage for one night.

I was knackered yesterday changing the height on my metal shelving unit to accommodate this new cage, only to have to change it all back again today! :roll:

I`ll pack the cage away and `might` use it again, but I think I might sell it on at a loss because I can`t really see me using it. It`s such a shame because I really liked it. Oh well, Scooby is happy to have his Duna back again....

souffle
02-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Well now what you need is a syrian :wink: Sorry it did not work out but so nice to hear you have the hamsters welfare at heart not just the pretty look of the cage. :lol:

Hana
02-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Aww thats such a shame :( At least, like souffle said you have Scooby's welfare at heart. And it sounds like he likes the duna!

racinghamster
02-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys. Yes, I did worry that he was`nt comfortable trying to get down from the top level of the cage and this is the only sticking point with it to be honest. I did`nt like the way he was goind into the tube and had his back legs splayed out behind him when dropping into the tube, which to me is a bit steep near the top and would have been far better designed having something easier for a hamster to scale up?

He`s been out and about this afternoon and although looking a bit frantic and perplexed at having being moved AGAIN! he`s now happy in his Duna once again.

I may decide to keep hold of the cage but I`d rather sell it on and try and get something with bars, but with just a single level for the hotter summer months. I wish I`d done that now.. :roll:

SO....if there is anyone out there who wants to swap a perfectly good Imac Fantasy cage, for a similar sized, barred, single level hamster cage, I`m all ears! :) I don`t mind having another level inside the cage, as long as it`s just a level with a ramp he can go up and down.