PDA

View Full Version : New to the group

rufus
01-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Hi,

I am new to the group and posted on the Syrian forum since I have a syrian and two dwarf hamsters. One of my dwarf hamsters is a Campbells dwarf called Pye. I adopted Pye in October 2009, she has been an unusual hamster to say the least, I have attached a photo. From the time we adopted her she would occasionally just fall backwards. I have seen hamsters on TV shows do the same but with Pye at first it was very occasional. We would put her in an exercise enclosure and she would just stand up and fall backwards or she would be in her cage on top of her igloo and fall backwards. This went on for around 6 or 7 months, then during the summer we noticed she started falling backwards more often. She also suddenly developed cataracts and her eyes began popping out a little. With increased age she has also lost her black coloring and has turned grey. We believe Pye is now a year and a half in age, not really old but she has had a lot to contend with. Obviously she has been taken to the vet numerous times, at first the vet believed she had an ear infection and perscribed anti biotics. However those never did anything, other medication was perscribed with no effect either.

Within the last few months Pye seems to be loosing muscle tone in her back end, will occasionally bleed a tiny amount from her genitals and is falling backwards more and more. The vet believes she has a neurological issue and now may have developed a tumor making the neurological issues worse (with the cataracts being possible from diabetes). The last time we were at the vet we did talk about putting Pye to sleep but she is a very fiesty little girl. She still has plenty of energy, like most dwarf Russian hamsters do, she is eating and drinking and still runs on her wheel. With all that going for her we did not feel it was the right time to put Pye to sleep. She is fighter and although this is not something she is going to win, I wanted her to have a chance to live out her life at least while she is not suffering. We are of course watching her closely for any signs her time may be near but at the moment she is constantly surprising us. Our vet is a small animal expert and she has not seen anything like Pye before, has anyone else come accross this type of condition before?

MandyP
01-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi and Welcome :)

I am sorry to hear Pye has been so unwell :(

Iluvhamsters
01-19-2011, 03:15 AM
Hi and welcome from me too :)

Pye is a beautiful hamster, not sure about the falling over but your vet mentioned that her cataracts might be due to Diabetes, has she been tested for this? There is an article on Diabetes in HC Wiki which might be of use to you: Do you think your hamster is diabetic? - Hamster Central WIKI (http://www.hamstercentral.com/wiki/Do_you_think_your_hamster_is_diabetic%3F)

Hannah
01-19-2011, 03:56 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum. Your hamster is beautiful, she has such lovely markings XxX

Hope
01-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Hi and welcome :-)

Sorry to hear that Pye has had so many problems in her short life. It sounds like you are looking after her very well and doing all you can for her.

rufus
01-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Pye has been through a lot, I should have said she was suspected of diabetes because our first vet tested her for diabetes but at the time said she was borderline. She does not have many of the characteristics of diabetes but her eyes are pretty abnormal so our more recent vet believes the cataracts may be related to her suspected tumor. Needless to say at this point she has very little vision in her eyes but in typical hamster style this has not affected her at all. Our vet at this point in time can not offer any more treatment. She is a very pretty hamster, she is our special little girl who just acts like nothing is the matter and falling backwards is a normal thing to do.

Lacrima
01-19-2011, 10:19 PM
I am terribly sorry about your hamster but it sounds like she has a Neurological Disorder called "Star Gazing". You see this a lot in videos on YouTube with "Drunken Hamster" as the title or description.

rufus
01-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Thank you, Lacrima, I looked up Star Gazing online, everything sounds right. It said it is a neurological disorder which usually starts at around 4 months, which was around the time we adopted Pye. It also said it is often more common in mottled hamsters, apparently breeding two mottled hamsters can lead to a bunch of genetic problems and that this is usually a condition that can be passed on. Obviously we are not into breeding our hamsters but I was interested to find that it could be related to her interesting markings. Poor Pye, last night she looked like she had taken a turn for the worse but today when I woke up I heard her running on her wheel and she was acting her normal self again.