PDA

View Full Version : Macy has gone to the bridge

Intense125
01-20-2007, 07:25 AM
I wanted to let you know we lost our precious Macy yesterday. She had sugery last month to treat an advanced pyometra infection. She really tried to stay with us, but I think her little body had been through so much and was just ready to go home. :cry:

Macy seemed to be slowly recovering after surgery and even had a pretty good third post-op week (behaving more like her usual self than ever), but she started sleeping a lot more this past week and not coming out to visit much. I left treats for her each night and they were always gone the next morning, so I didn't get terribly concerned.

Night before last, we got Macy up to clean her cage. I noticed right away that she felt lighter. She had trouble keeping her eyes open and seemed to have lost some control of her hind legs. We made up her favorite spot and put her back in her cage. She proceeded to meticulously adjust her nest and spent quite a bit of time on this, keeping her eyes closed almost the entire time. I sat and watched her and stroked her fur after she finally settled in. The next morning, she was in the same spot and had not come out to take the bits of apple I had left her. She was breathing and did not appear to be in any distress, but she did not respond to my voice.

When my girls got home from school, they found Macy had died and called me in agony. My wonderful friend Jennifer rushed over to my house to comfort them since I was still at work. She also insisted we eat dinner with her and kept all three of my girls overnight last night. Her family lost their sweet hamster George (Macy's boyfriend) about a year ago.

Macy looked beautiful and peaceful--she died in the same place I had left her that morning in the fetal position. Jennifer wrapped her in a towel, and we each had our time to hold her and bid our little friend farewell. We will bury her today.

SnuggleHam
01-20-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Macy *hugs* Its always heartbreaking when they pass. Its a shame they live such short lives and are so delicate. At least you can take comfort in knowing that you and your family did all you could do for her and she lived a loving and comfortable life with you. Don't blame yourself for not picking up on her decline, they are masters at hiding illness from us! I would have thought the same thing if I had noticed she was still eating treats like a normal ham might.

Your friend Jennifer is a doll for helping out :) She sounds like a great friend. I'm glad that Macy appeared to have a peaceful passing. I feel bad for mentioning her on the front page as the featured profile, I didn't know she was ill. If you would like I could remove the bit about Macy so you wont have to be reminded of your loss?

*many supportive hugs* :cry:

pophammy
01-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Oh no, poor Macy. She was well loved and I'm sure she knew it. R.I.P little one :cry: :cry: :cry:

souffle
01-20-2007, 08:26 AM
I am deeply sorry to hear of your loss. Macy was such a treasure and so deeply loved. You gave her your everything and your whole familie's dedication to her has been outstanding. I know a little bit of her will live on in all your hearts for ever.

Treasure the time that you have with a pet
Treasure it close to your heart
Treasure the love that you share with a pet
For you never know when you will part

RIP Macy
A star will shine brighter in heaven tonight :cry:

suga
01-20-2007, 09:57 AM
sad :-(
Have the best time at rainbow bridge little Macy.
hugs from suga

Lula
01-20-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. :(

danrag
01-21-2007, 02:25 AM
Sorry to hear about Macy, my thoughts are with you x

I lost my Hiff-hiff 3 days ago, I know how bad it can feel. I'm grateful he died peacefully in his sleep just like Macy, I was able to say goodbye and accept that he had gone.

I'm already thinking of the good times instead of the loss, I hope you will be able to do that too - you obviously cared very much.

I hope another little ham will be able to enjoy that love, when you are ready to take another into your home

xx Dan

Hana
01-21-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Macy, she will have fun at the bridge

RIP Macy :cry:

Intense125
01-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Thank you for your kind words during our time of loss. The HC Community has provided me with so much unexpected and insightful support since Macy's surgery and now that she has left us. I am so thankful to you all.

babyboos
01-21-2007, 12:20 PM
she was a brave wee girl and we are all proud of her
Sweet dreams little one

LilaHam
01-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Aww poor Macy

[R.I.P Macy :cry: ]

Intense125
01-22-2007, 09:57 PM
My friend Jennifer wrote this prayer for Macy the night she died. I wanted to share it with you:

Lord, we ask that you receive this precious soul into your Kingdom of love. Macy touched so may lives on her earthly journey. She was smart, sweet, feisty, and showed us all how a small creature could love. We ask that you let her roam, romp and play in the flower gardens of Heaven, especially with her friend George. May we also find comfort knowing that she loved her human family and may we remember the trips, the mishaps (getting lost!), and even the wonderful treats she was fed. She was a dear and wonderful pet to all those who knew her. May she finally now rest in peace. Amen.

Minicooper
01-23-2007, 01:52 AM
Rest in peace Macy. :(

Intense125
02-04-2007, 11:41 AM
I ordered a gravemarker for Macy and my kitty who died in 2002 last night, and the owner contacted me immediately afterwards to discuss my order and to find out a little bit about Macy and Wooty (I was quite impressed with that!). Anyway, the markers from this company appear very nice and are very reasonably priced compared to numerous other sites I checked out. I got the Cat and Pet markers from the front page. Check it out if you like:

http://www.moonshadow-pet-memorials.com ... ew_004.htm (http://www.moonshadow-pet-memorials.com/mspetmarkersnew_004.htm)

SnuggleHam
02-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Thats a really nice way to remember them Intense :) they are nice markers :)

Emms
02-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Aww, R.I.P Macy :cry:

Emma x

souffle
02-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Those are beautiful intense and a lovely tribute to your furry friends who have departed. We have a special area in our garden and when we bury our pets we plant a flower or shrub over the grave. Every year when they flower we smile and think that in that flower is part of our little one shining back at us :lol:

racinghamster
02-05-2007, 06:06 AM
Macy was a very loved little hamster and you done her so proud. Rest peacefully wee one. x