PDA

View Full Version : occasional robo squabble?

01-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Any one know if it is natural for Roborovski to have the occasional squabble? is it dominace rituals?

SnuggleHam
01-07-2007, 06:40 PM
All the dwarf species are known to squabble from time to time, and the robo is no exception. Squabbling is usually a sign that means one of the two inst interested in sharing its space with the other.

Ways to avoid this from happening is to always make sure the pair has access to two wheels. Another is to never use a food bowl and sprinkle the feed across the cage so they don't become territorial over the food source.

Injuries may not be that obvious at first. Robo's tend to bite at each others bottoms, so check the undersides of each for any signs of cuts or scabs. If this behavior persists I would recommend separating them before any damage can be done.

Mine recently started to go after one another so I had to separate them into their own homes. This usually seems to occur once they reach maturity.

01-08-2007, 06:20 AM
I use 3 wheels for 2 hamsters

SnuggleHam
01-08-2007, 06:27 AM
You probably only need two wheels for two robos, but I guess three couldn't hurt. But please keep an eye on them, if they continue to squabble they will need to be separated. When mine started to fight I had just gotten an extra wheel, but it didn't seem to make a difference, one had already decided the cage wasn't big enough for the both of them. :(

I posted my story at the following link on the forum
http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1520 encase you were interested in giving it a read. :)

babyboos
01-08-2007, 05:05 PM
It is probably dominance related - it may well be you have one of each sex and the female is being picked on by the male to breed?

01-09-2007, 03:02 PM
i separated them last night and its acctually the female attacking the male.

souffle
01-09-2007, 03:26 PM
You did the right thing. She may already be pregnant again so treat her accordingly with plenty protein and nesting material till you see if she has any pups. She may not have been wanting his pestering because she is pregnant.

SnuggleHam
01-09-2007, 03:31 PM
I agree, you did the right thing, good job Jesse :)