PDA

View Full Version : I have great news

peanut25
03-25-2005, 07:02 PM
I just got two new little ladies in my life. Ricochet and Whisper. I was only going to get one but couldn't help myself. They are both very gentle and were handled often. I went to the same place as where I got Bear. I will post new pictures soon. Just wanted to share my great news.

SnuggleHam
03-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Congratulations on the two new little ladies.. What kind of hamsters are they... Syrian, dwarf? Can't wait to see pictures.. I love getting new pets!

Emma
03-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Yay on new hamsters, can't wait to see pictures :) those are some good names you've chosen, what inspired them?

babyboos
03-26-2005, 04:54 AM
Congratulations Lisa, any special reason for getting the new additions, or did they just catch your eye? I love your names - what kind of hamsters are they? Ricochet would be a great name for a Roborovski as they zip around their enclosure!

peanut25
03-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Both little ladies are syrians. Whisper is all black and Ricochet is tan, brown, black, and white. Ricochet decided that she wanted to get loose today on Eric and I have not been able to find her. I have been looking for about 3 hours and still nothing. I am worried that she may get hurt. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to find her. She still isn't use to me. As for why I got them is because when I went into the pet store to get more shavings and food there were two girls that were going to get them just because they were cute and had lost the other one that they had because her boyfriend had killed it. I couldn't let her take two poor defenseless creatures home. Eric named both of them. Ricochet got her name because she is non stop and whisper just fits. I will try to get pictures soon.

Emma
03-27-2005, 02:19 AM
Oh no! Ricochet certainly does seem to suit her!

There's a thread here giving hints and tips to find an Escaped Hamster (http://www.candacebell.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155).

The one that has worked for me before is the bucket trap (using a bucket or similar with strong-smelling food in it like broccoli, propping it up next to books made into steps, so the hamster can get in but not out).

I really hope she turns up soon x

SnuggleHam
03-27-2005, 06:16 AM
Yikes... I hope you find the little one soon :?

babyboos
03-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Oh little Ricochet :shock: what mischief are you getting up to - cheeky monkey :twisted: worrying your new mummy and daddy like this :oops: :!:

Looks like you may have your hands full with this little lady :!: Do you know what room she is in or is she on the loose in the house :?: Keep us posted - good luck.

peanut25
03-30-2005, 09:00 AM
I still haven't found Ricochet but I found a chew hole in the wall. I think she is permanently gone. :cry: I didn't even get to see her grow. I am so upset. I do have pictures of Whisper posted on photobucket now. She is still camera shy but am working on that. Thanks for all the advice. I am keeping her cage on the floor with food and water just in case she decides that she wants to come home. There are steps leading into it. I hope she comes home to me.

babyboos
03-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Whisper is a Sable (long-haired) Syrian and one of mine (and Chris - Hammydude's :oops: ) favourite colourations. It is quite amazing to think she is actually a Black-eyed Cream Hamster with a sooty overcoat on from a gene knwon as Umbrous which darkens the tips of all her hairs. If you part it and look next to her skin you will see the hair is quite pale, and as she grows, around her eyes will be a rich creamy colour.

I will pray Ricochet comes back - sometimes they can be gone for a good few weeks and then turn up one day all innocent, usually in my shoes when they run away. Try counting out a few sunflower seeds in each corner of your rooms, and then you will hopefully be able to determine at least which she is living in. All of my escapees gravitate towards corners so I know to look there regularly and they will eventually turn up.

Emma
03-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Oh dear I am sorry peanut. I had a friend who found a hamster once two months after it had absconded, I guess there is always hope. I think babyboo's idea of counting out sunflower seeds in different places is a good one (maybe near the chewed hole in the wall?). Ricochet certainly does seem to suit the little troublemaker.

Whisper seems lovely though. Another sable on the forum! We're being taken over :shock:

SnuggleHam
03-30-2005, 12:08 PM
Putting positive thoughts out that you find you little ham :(

catalat
03-31-2005, 11:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your lost hamster. I really hope she turns up soon.

I took a peek at the pictures of your hamsters. They sure are beautiful! :D

carefresh
04-01-2005, 07:21 AM
I hope you find your missing hammy !

peanut25
04-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Ricochet is still off galavanting. I hope she doesn't get hurt :cry: . I did try the sunflowers and none have been missing anywhere. :( I adopted a panda bear. His name is Bandit. As in smokey and the Bandit. He was used for Breeding and they didn't want him anymore so I took him home with me. The fiance was mad but he got over it as soon as he looked in Bandits face. I think Bandit has wet tail though. How can you tell?

carefresh
04-02-2005, 05:43 AM
This is taken from the Hamster Central ailments page ~

Symptoms may include:

* Watery diarrhoea

* Soiling of the perianal region

* Hunched position

* Ungroomed coat

* Lethargy

* Anorexia

SnuggleHam
04-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Oh... :? I hope he doesn’t have Wet Tail, Bbt what carefresh posted is right those are all good signs. Another one I noticed with my hamster with Wet Tail is that when they do occasionally come out they seem to walk in a kind of hunched up position looking uncomfortable.

Have you picked him up to check to see if his bum was wet with diarrhea or anything? Are his ears always folded back against his head?

peanut25
04-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Sorry it's been so long. I have been very busy as of late. Still no Ricochet. Bandit doesn't have wet tail and has been very active. He doesn't like my fiance but he absolutely loves me. Whenever the fiance tries to pick him up he tries to bite him. Whisper won't climb into my hands but she will climb into my fiance hands. She is weird but I still love her. Does anyone have any suggestions for me about how to get bandit to go to Eric and how to get whisper to climb in my hands? I've tried treats and talking nice and calm to her but it just doesn't work. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.