PDA

View Full Version : Cage Recommendation for Winter White

StarlightSerenity
01-01-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm considering getting a WW and was wondering what cages you guys would recommend?

KatiePillow
01-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I really recommend the mini duna for a single ww (i have campbells, so same size)
the level gives them a place to make an open nest, it's not too big...so not too daunting, can fit a reasonable sized wheel (6.5" silent spinner, or the 8" rolly wheel both fit in mine)
and it doesn't require any DIY, it's about 50x30cm, and is a tank style cage..this means no fear of escape.
it is also readily available, and about £30

For one of my dwarves I have a duna multy, (about 70x40cm) and she makes full use of that space too..so if you want to be more generous, the extra room is appreciated by them :) (there's also a zoozone 1 which is the same price as the multy, but only £32 ish..although you have to mesh the lid as it's a guinea pig cage :)

SnickersTheFirst
01-01-2011, 12:48 PM
I have the Mini Duna for my WW and he loves it. I think he'd be a little overwhelmed if he had a bigger cage tbh. As Katie mentioned, it's only £30 and I picked mine up from Pets At Home. :D

KatiePillow
01-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Yeah, that is something to take into account..I have a chinese dwarf too, and she's scared of her cage as it's too large..and I know of other hamsters who have also not liked the extra space..That's why I suggest the duna...if you feel your hamster would appreciate more space, you could always upgrade later.
The main reason I upgraded was because my little girl wasn't too into her wheel :)

Gizmodo ^_^
01-02-2011, 07:46 AM
I Have a mini duna for Hattie and its a great Cage
Mabel is in a Zoozone1 which is a great Cage aswell
Gizmo is in a Gabber Rex which is fab but hard to find

StarlightSerenity
01-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks everyone!

I was looking into the Mini Duna and spotted the Ferplast Combi - I like the look of them because I could attatch a few more cages to it or the Ferplast Gym. What do you guys think of them?

SnickersTheFirst
01-02-2011, 08:58 AM
In my opinion, the Combi doesn't leave alot of room for toys etc. after the wheel and bottle have been put into place. The Duna is around the same price but quite a bit bigger too! The Combi has only one level whereas the Duna has two, the wheels on both will probably need to be replaced.

Duna Measurement: 55x39x27cm
Combi Measurement: 40x29x22cm

I'd go for the Mini Duna tbh. :D

KatiePillow
01-02-2011, 09:34 AM
I have a combi 1 and in my opinion it's only really suitable as a travel cage..I had one of my boys in one for a night and he hated it (and the wheel is awfully noisy), when you look at the space you get, you literally get half the floor space of the duna mini, my duna mini was £31, and the combi 1 was £28, and to make the combi one a reasonable size you do need attachments..which is going to bring the price up to more than the mini duna.

I also found I couldn't get my little one out of there, because he's fairly timid and kept disappearing into the tube.

I also like to give mine a good amount of substrate to allow digging, this isn't possible in the combi 1 as it means the wheel won't fit (need a 6.5 inch wheel for a ww)
Modular cages also leave less space for toys and boredom breakers, and although people argue that they replicate a hamsters natural habitat, they only replicate their burrows, at night they like to run around, so floor space is important.

In my combi 1 I could fit, the water bottle, the built in wheel, and a house. I had to pile the food up because there wasn't enough space to have a bowl while giving him any running around room.

My combi 1 also takes longer to clean than my mini dunas.. because the tube.
Sorry for the essay..but although this cage is sadly not the worst on the market..I really don't recommend it. I feel guilty putting my little ones in it while i'm cleaning out their other cage.

I know of people on the forum who have had this cage + the lab attachment, but obviously it's harder to clean, and costs more...plus I know one member is now upgrading :)
so yeah >.<

stellanova1
01-02-2011, 10:09 AM
I'd recommend the zoozone 1 or Duna multy...I find the mini duna too small for my dwarfs. I like having more space for them for toys etc, thats just me though :)

StarlightSerenity
01-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks everyone, after looking at the sizes of the trixi items I want to get and the size of the Ferplast Combi I've certainly decided against it lol.

I would just really like a cage that I can add to, if I cant find a decent modular system thats suitable for WW I'm going to go for the Duna Multy.

Thanks again!

StarlightSerenity
01-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Anyone used the Duna Fun cage...?

KatiePillow
01-02-2011, 10:58 AM
There have been issues with the company that sells the multy, with shoddy delivery times etc, so a zoozone 1 will probably be the best one to get of that size :) (although needs meshing etc)

A duna fun would be a good option..I know hope had her boris in one, but had issues with him bar chewing.
It would be a good option for you if you want a modular system, because the ferplast tubes are also compatable with savic ones..so you could connect from both those ranges.
Much better option than the combi 1 :)
(and I know about the trixie toys..I had a tunnel for my boy and it didn't fit >.<..they are rather bulky)

Hope somebody can come along and help you further.

the duna fun probably has approximately the same floorspace as a zz1, however you can fit less on the shelves, so might need to compromise on some of the trixie items. :)
But I find it tricky to fit everything I want to fit into sandys multy..so that's a problem with any cage. (also..if you go for the zz1 or the multy style, you should get one of those wooden levels or something, because a lot of space goes to waste in its height :) )

SnickersTheFirst
01-02-2011, 01:04 PM
I've managed to fit loads of trixie toys in Oscar's Mini Duna.

The Duna Fun can be added to as it has tubes but as Katie said, it also has bars so you have to be prepared for the noise. The bars can be removed and it will convert the cage into a Mini Duna (which is good) but then it can't be extended.

It has 3 levels so 1 extra than the Mini Duna but this can limit toy space. It's up to you really.

Duna Fun -
Pros:
Can be extended
Has 3 levels
Can be changed into a Mini Duna

Cons:
Less toy room
Bar chewing

Mini Duna-
Pros:
Toy room
Room to run
2 levels

Cons:
Can't be extended

Hope this helps. :D

Hope
01-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Hello :-)

Yes Boris was in a duna fun, but he found bar chewing and had to be converted back to a mini duna for the sake of my sanity!

The cage was ok, space wise was fine and he did like the little tube at the front. But there were a few things that I did not like. The only place that he wheel could go was onthe first level, it would not fit under the shelf on the base. Also if you want to put substrate on the shelf it falls out between the bars. To be honest for the money
I would rather have a duna multy or zoozone 1.