PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning tanks

Cheeky's Mom
03-25-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm planning on upgrading Cheeky from her two small plastic tanks to a larger glass tank, at least 20 gallons. I've only ever had hammies in plastic tanks or glass 10 gallons before. So I was just wondering -- for those of you with big tanks like that, how do you clean them? Or more to the point, I guess, how do you rinse them? I've always used the sink, but anything more than a 10-gallon won't fit under the faucet, I'm sure. And I don't have one of those sprayer things. . .though you can probably buy one that attaches to the faucet, right?

Though another option I've been considering is the bin cage idea. Though of course I assume I'd run into the same kind of cleaning problems. Also, and maybe I should ask this in another topic, but do bin cages retain smells or anything like that?

Thanks in advance!

SnuggleHam
03-25-2005, 08:49 PM
I have a 29 gallon for my two Roborovskis, I tell you it's pretty awkward, even with just a inch of bedding, it's still hard to handle since its pretty heavy! What I do it get it on the floor first, then I scoop out most the bedding with my hands, vacuum out the rest, and then wipe down the bottom and sides if needed.

I don’t have a ton of room for bin cages, and I already have two of them. The only reason the Roborovskis are in the tank is because it looks nicer on my dresser, and doesn’t take up a huge amount of space. If I did have the room however they would also be in a bin cage.

I highly recommend a bin cage if you can. I know they are large but they are much, much, more lighter then a 20 gallon tank, and since they have handles they are easy to handle and maneouver. Plus it’s easier to tip the bins into a garbage bag for cleaning out old cage bedding.

I don't find the bins retain any smells. Just make sure it's cleaned out regularly, and washed when needed.

Cheeky's Mom
03-30-2005, 12:26 PM
All right, I might just go back to the Bin Cage thought if I end up having enough room. But at least the tank is manageable, too. Thanks for the response!