PDA

View Full Version : New Daddy

matty
12-29-2006, 06:33 PM
i just brought home two blueberry dwarf hamsters named mohammad and norman. mohammad receive his name because he's constantly boxing everything and everyone. norman. . . well, he just looked like a norman.

i haven't had hamsters since i was a child, so i'm sure to have a lot of questions. . . .

matty

racinghamster
12-30-2006, 02:08 AM
Hi Matty. Welcome to the forum! Your hamsters sound lovely, although I`ve never heard of blueberry hamsters myself? I know in america there are different names for hamsters to those here in the U.K however.

Read all the pages on here to gleen information on your particular hamsters. We`re all here to help! x

souffle
12-30-2006, 05:27 AM
Welcome to the forum and great to hear about your new hammies. They sound great. In America pet shops seem to have started giving these names to coloured versions of Campbells Russian hammies. I would think yours are probably either black or platinum Campbells Russian dwarf hamsters or one of each!

SnuggleHam
12-30-2006, 06:21 AM
Welcome Matty! glad to have you as a member of our community! As other people have already said, you probably have a Campbell's dwarf hamster. We have an article on them here at HC. I suggest giving it a read :)
http://www.hamstercentral.com/user.php?action=viewArticle&a=5

I was just at a large chain pet store the other day called Petsmart. They had two dwarf hamsters in different cages, one was called a Blueberrry hamster and the other a blackberry hamster. They were both Campbells with a slight variation of a black coat. I don't think these are "official" coat color terms among hamster enthusiastic, just something the stores come up with.

I have also seen something called a blackberry hamster that appeared to be Chinese hamster with an odd coat coloration.

Minicooper
12-30-2006, 06:36 AM
Welcome :D Enjoy the site!

suga
12-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Welcome :-) flicks would be great...

pophammy
12-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum! Glad you found us!

Hana
12-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Hello, have fun on the forum. People here are so helpful :)

matty
12-31-2006, 10:23 AM
i found mohammed and norman at PetSmart. before i picked them up i did some research and came to the same conclusion--they're campbell's. they also had "blackberries" which were darker. i guess the names is in reference to the color; a light grey that in the right lighting seems a little blue.

norman is the larger of the two and has a very white tail. mohammed is a little smaller with a grey tail. it's funny how different their personalities are. mohammed is the dominate one with distinct "cage rage". normand just sniffs and licks anything that comes inside.

outside the cage, norman was very calm in his ball and my hands. mohammed had a little "accident" and trembled quite a bit. so much for the "bad-boy" reputation he's trying to up-hold!

i worry about the squabbling, but the article SquabbleHam linked too suggests that it's normal. . . . nothing physical, just mohammed making treats if norman is in the way. they sleep together, so i assume all is well. . . .

thanks for the warm welcome! the forum and website are great!

matty

souffle
12-31-2006, 10:29 AM
i worry about the squabbling, but the article SquabbleHam linked too suggests that it's normal. . . .

Hey Snuggleham, have you changed your name? By the way, I love it!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SnuggleHam
12-31-2006, 10:32 AM
the article SquabbleHam linked too...

Lol! If I were "SquabbleHam" nothing productive would ever get done on this website :lol: Its Snuggleham hehe 8) Anyway I'm glad you are enjoying your time here on Hamster Central matty.

Keep an eye on Moh and Norm though. Its not uncommon for these sorts of squabbles to get out of hand and turn into actual fighting which lead separation. Check both over regularly for injuries, especially near the rear end and belly area. If they are making allot of squeaking thats usually an indicter its getting out of hand.

matty
12-31-2006, 10:42 AM
lol--sorry, i guess i've got squabbling on the brain!