PDA

View Full Version : Handling and training

Katie_07
12-27-2006, 03:26 PM
I have had my hampster for 1 week. How long until I should pick up and handle my hampster and try and start to train it. I feel like I am going backwards instead of forward

SnuggleHam
12-27-2006, 04:08 PM
First of all when you get a new hamster you should ideally give him or her time to rest before you start handling them, considering you got it a week ago I assume its had able time to settle in, unless you have been disturbing it to much. The last thing you want your hamster to associate with you is stress. Give the hamster a day or two to settle into its new surroundings. There are lots of new sights, sounds and smells it needs to get accustom to.

To start try talking to the hamster through its cage and offering little tid-bits of treats, allowing it to take it from your fingers. You might want to allow it to sniff your hand as well. You can try stroking your hamster on the back when its busy munching on food or a treat.

When it comes to handling you could try and coax the hamster onto your open hand. Never wake up the hamster to handle it. You should play with it when its already awake. Trying to wake a sleeping hamster may lead to a nasty bite. If your nervous about picking it up you could use a plastic container or small box placed inside the cage. Let the hamster climb into it on its own terms and take it out of the cage. Then allow it to walk out into your hand or in your lap.

Always make sure you are sitting down so the hamster cant take a bad tumble encase it starts to try and escape. Its basically a game of touch and go. Dont force it.. let the trust develop at its own pace. Just make calm slow movements when around the hamster and pay attention to his body language, respect its space.

Its just going to take some time for your hamster to get use to being handled. Keep in mind your hamster is young and full of energy. Hamsters aren't usually like having cats and want to be cuddled for long periods of time. They will tolerate being handled a short time until they get restless and want to explore. You might find as your hamster ages it becomes more calm.

Once you are able to handle him safely take him out for longer intervals extending the amount of time you hold him. Please keep us updated on how its going. :D

pophammy
12-28-2006, 10:17 AM
You are not the first or only person to have had taming problems! Here is a link to a post another user made, with many tips on taming!

http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1442 (http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1442)

babyboos
12-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Did you get your hamster from a pet store or a breeder? Was it a small local pet store or a large chain?