PDA

View Full Version : Question About Hampster and Bathroom

Katie_07
12-27-2006, 03:08 PM
I have a question for everyone, I just got a nwe hampster. I have had him for 1 week,But the problem is he doesnt seem to be going the bathroom in just one cornor like hes suspsto. I tryed several things and nothing seems to be helping.He goes ,in his house where he sleeps and in his house and bye his water and food is there anything I can do to try and make it so he will not All over? I need to get him better food, he doesnt seem to like the living world food I am feeding him Help :D

SnuggleHam
12-27-2006, 03:13 PM
I find that young hamsters are a bit more lazy with keeping one "wet corner" for themselves, but as they mature from my own experience it seems they start to become more conscious about not weeing in their sleeping areas. Also it might just be that your new hamster needs time to settle into its new surroundings.

I would suggest offering a sand bath, sometimes they take to it just like cats take to kitty litter! There are ways to train them, but seeing as its early in your relationship, I wouldn't worry much about it at this point. Just make sure you keep the cage clean.

What kind of hamster did you get? and have you been able to handle it yet?

Welcome to the forum as well! I hope you wont be shy about introducing yourself! :)

racinghamster
12-28-2006, 03:30 AM
I would`nt worry about where he goes to the toilet just yet! If you have a hamster potty/litter tray, buy some chinchilla sand from your pet shop/store and put a good few inches of sand in it. Hamsters love to roll in sand and it also teaches them to use it as a toilet. You can clean it out daily and seive the sand through a strainer to re-use a few times and then renew it.

My russian dwarf hamster Scooby poos in his house and in his corner! :lol:

Minicooper
12-28-2006, 03:40 AM
Also remember katie to get chinchilla sand not chinchilla dust.

racinghamster
12-28-2006, 03:44 AM
Well said minicooper! :) Yes, dust can be detrimental to any small animals respiratory system, so make sure you buy sand!