PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

Demelza
12-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Hey guys I wonder if u could help me out! I was cleaning out pepper (my hamster) and to Clean I took him out and put him in his run around ball, and I suddenly noticed he's turned very white like he's gotten really old. He used to be a darkish grey colour. To be honest this is my first hammy and I don't really don't know that much yet and I've no idea what's going on with him. Could some1 please shed some light on it, I'd be grateful!

cheekycheeks
12-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Oh many more people on here are more knowledgable on this hamster then me, but i think your hammy might be a winter white. Their fur turns white, changes colour in the winter season. I beleive this is the jist of it. In the wild it helps them to evade predators, because they blend in with the snow:) Don't worry he is fine:)
heres a link on them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djungarian_hamster

KatiePillow
12-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Is he a dwarf..? if so he may be a winter white who go white in winter..
Also, other colour mutations in campbells and hybrids fade over time :)

wofunny
12-11-2010, 01:30 PM
If He is a Winter White, he is going through his winter coat change.
Most winter whites go through this change, its to do with the light (or lack of it) in winter.

Its nothing to worry about, my two winter whites are going through the same change. x

Demelza
12-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Hey guys thanks for replying yea he is a dwarf, we adopted him from pets at home 5 months ago now and the sign never mentioned him being a winter White, although maybe they couldn't tell! That sounds like the right explanation, he dosnt seem sick a all. And he is sooooo gorgeous with his White coat!

KatiePillow
12-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Pets at home have never had winter whites in that i've seen, so he's probably a hybrid..I think they whiten..but usually less...Or maybe they had a breeder selling them their excess or something (or an accidental pregnancy or something)

I'd love to see a photo if you can get one :3
Wofunny has lots of photos of his gorgeous winter whites, one of them is the featured hamster if you go to just hamstercentral.com in fact :)

wofunny
12-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Most petshop dwarfs are Hybrids, so he was probably called a Russian Dwarf :D

I love them in their winter coat too :D x

Demelza
12-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Not sure if he oringinally from petshop he had other owners before me but they couldn't look after him properly and took him there! Of course I got pics :) but I'm just trying to work out how to load them on here!

Fidgetthefirst
12-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Not sure if he oringinally from petshop he had other owners before me but they couldn't look after him properly and took him there! Of course I got pics :) but I'm just trying to work out how to load them on here!

I upload my photos to photobucket, then copy the IMG code onto my post :)