PDA

View Full Version : Urgent! Old hamster with suspected broken leg

racinghamster
11-30-2006, 06:20 AM
I`m posting on behalf of a friend on another forum. The hamster is a rescue and is about two years old. The hamster is in a low cage and she has no real clues as to why this break has ocurred. A vet appointment has been made for later on this evening and I wanted to post here to ask what can be done (if anything) for the Syrian?

We have had a few replies on the rat forum regarding whether the hamster can be operated on due to it`s age, or whether the leg should be splinted and left alone?

Please do reply if you can offer any advice at all on what can be done for hammie.

Many thanks and quick replies if possible please! :)

SnuggleHam
11-30-2006, 07:17 AM
Thats horrible, I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your friends hamster. :(

The first hamster I owned was a syrian when I was young. My little sister broke into her cage one day and I came home to find my poor ham with what seemed to be a broken leg or foot hobbling around my bedroom floor.

I recall at the time a vet telling me over the phone that I could splint it on my own. But then the hamster would probably just chew at it anyway. I'm sure a veterinarian could offer the best advice. But back in the day when it happened to my old hamster I just let it heal on its own. Eventually it healed but her foot was out of alignment and she hobbled around funny. But she didn't seem bothered by it and lived out the remainder of her life.

Of course if it can be treated your friend should seek help, But if it is old perhaps pain medication can be given and the injury left to heal on it own? But then there is the possibility it could easily break again.

Well please let us know how it goes. Or else get your friend to join HC and post us updates :P

souffle
11-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Depending on how bad the break is it is possible to splint but it is very difficult to get the hammy to keep them on unfortunatly. A bad break would require amputation but most hammies do very well on 3 legs and with this being an oldie would probably not object to having no wheel or climbing toys. It could be a sprain which would need rest in a confined area usually and anti-inflammatory medication. I hope the vet can help out and the little one fels more comfy soon.

racinghamster
11-30-2006, 12:49 PM
It`s sad news everyone. Percy was at the vets this evening and although all the options were discussed i.e, amputation, splinting, pain control...the vet examined Percy`s abdomen and found a large internal mass. It was only then the decision was made to have Percy peacefully put to sleep. Thankyou for your replies. Percy was well cared for and loved. x RIP wee man. xxx

souffle
11-30-2006, 03:52 PM
What a pity but Percy had a long and happy life. It may have been a bone secondary growth which caused the unexplained break. Your friend made a wise decision to give him peaceful rest. Play happily at the bridge. RIP Percy :cry:

SnuggleHam
11-30-2006, 04:39 PM
Sorry to hear :( please give my regards to your friend. At least the poor ham isn't in pain any longer.

racinghamster
12-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi Guys, sorry I hav`nt been on today as I`ve been so busy with my little furries!

Sarah takes in rats, hamsters and other animals looking for homes and does a wonderful job. Many animals are rehomed and transport arranged through her and this little hamster was no exception. It`s sad that Percy had other complications and could`nt be saved, but rest assured he was loved. x

Thankyou for your replies. x

pophammy
12-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Poor Percy :cry: . So sorry about him. R.I.P little one :cry:

babyboos
12-05-2006, 02:53 PM
oh poor wee man hopefully he was pain free till he started his eternal sleep

racinghamster
12-05-2006, 03:16 PM
I`m sure he was. Sarah had no idea how the break itself occurred. It was the `mass` that made the decision harder. x

babyboos
12-05-2006, 03:19 PM
maybve it was nerve trauma which caused the limp due to the mass bodies hamster and human alike react strangely to all sorts of things
sweet dreams little one enjoy yourself over the Bridge