PDA

View Full Version : Dwarfs Cage size and other info

Lilpip
11-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey since losing my little robo boys I have been thinking about getting more dwarf hammies. As much as I loved the short time I had with them I don't think I'm ready for more robos (they are all the same colour after all).
Up until I got the robos I had only ever had syrains so know little about dwarfs. I had always avoided them due to their reputation for being nippy.
Cutting a long story short I have a spare Mini Duna cage and have been thinking about getting a russian (or 2 if its big enough). So I have a few questions

Can I put more than 1 russian in a Mini Duna?
Are russians happy living alone?

KatiePillow
11-24-2010, 05:02 PM
I had two dwarfs in a mini duna, it was fine at first when they were tiny, but they were way too big for it after two weeks of having them (they grew a lot..).
I was planning on moving them into a duna multy anyway, but had to separate them due to them being different genders D:

I'd only have the one in a mini duna, it's like a little palace for them if there's only the one, but there's only enough room for one wheel, and ideally they need two.

My russians have recently been split up, and they seem happy enough on their own, I think it would be even better if they'd never lived with another hamster before, but pretty soon they'll get over it, the boy only misses the girl because she made good nests :p

Also, if you only have the one cage, and don't want another one, if they fall out...you'd have to separate, and they do often fall out. Mine didn't, but it was only a matter of time to be honest, (only had them together for 2/3 weeks)

My boy has never bitten, he's absolutely lovely, he won't necessarily climb into your hand, but he's happy to come out.
My girl, is a biter, my boyfriend has her trained not to bite him, but I didn't see them for two weeks as they lived with my boyfriend (girl now lives with me)
It's easy enough to gain their trust, you just have to liken your hand with food...as in bringer of food..
They're as nippy as a scared syrian really, people just think they're worse because you sometimes need more time with them, also their teeth are smaller so hurt less :)

fluffymunchkins
11-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Treo lives alone, he is perfectly happy and enjoys having all the attention to himself :)
Many people have lone dwarfs, so if you feel you just want one or you wouldn't be prepared to seperate a pair then it'd be fine.

Hope
11-26-2010, 03:11 AM
I too have a single dwarf called Boris. He was taken back to p@h anlong with his brother as they were fighting, his brother - labbled as the one who was bullied got adopted quickly, but Boris with his mean reputation was left so I took pitty on the little guy!!

They live perfectly happily on their own so dont be worried about just getting one.