PDA

View Full Version : A bin cage is in project

Fofinha
11-14-2010, 02:32 AM
Hi All,

Since Mcnulty developing a new bar chewing constantly habit recently, we decided to make a bin cage for her. First bin cage ever.
The project has started from last night, until night it got pretty messy.

My husband wants to make it look like a"ewok village" theme for the cage, well not sure how it's going to be later anyway.

Just hoping will be cool and Mcnulty will like it.

p.s Plastic cutting definitely not as easy as it look :( especially if wanted to be straight line.

Teddy
11-14-2010, 03:39 AM
Its nice you hubby gets involved. Mine is so sick of my hamster and gerbil fussing he just doesn't want to know if I have a 'project' on the go *sigh* ...

mangoandmimi
11-14-2010, 03:43 AM
sounds like going well :D i failed so had to get my dad lol.

my dads really good at diy, the only thing is, getting him to help with the hamsters ! he thinks its silly bless... :) well, he does have half the year for a rest from them !!

Coalhada
11-14-2010, 07:56 AM
sounds like going well
It's gone OK today. Now we need to wait for the glue to dry overnight so it's safe to put McNulty in and check her climbing distances etc.

To be honest, I made a bit of a pig's ear of the air slots, but McNulty won't notice so never mind if they look untidy.

Faerydae
11-14-2010, 09:36 AM
I used a dremel to cut the plastic on mine, that was pretty good at staying in a straight line :)

fluffymunchkins
11-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Best of luck, sounds like a very interesting project :)

Fofinha
11-15-2010, 09:58 AM
It almost finish. Just we need to get a ladder which none of the pet shop sell any hamster ladder or any kind to climb up but the short one. Thinking what to replace a ladder.
Will take some pictures when all done and set up. Meanwhile it become her playpen before move permanently in there to make her get used to it first. So far she likes it especially the tree house.

Faerydae
11-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I made a ladder out of pieces of jenga glued together with some mesh stuck over the top of it, maybe you could do that if you can't find one in shops?

cheekycheeks
11-15-2010, 11:35 AM
It almost finish. Just we need to get a ladder which none of the pet shop sell any hamster ladder or any kind to climb up but the short one. Thinking what to replace a ladder.
Will take some pictures when all done and set up. Meanwhile it become her playpen before move permanently in there to make her get used to it first. So far she likes it especially the tree house.

There are ladders you can get on the internet, but the wait might be too long im guessing you need one now

Coalhada
11-15-2010, 08:38 PM
I made a ladder out of pieces of jenga glued together with some mesh stuck over the top of it, maybe you could do that if you can't find one in shops?

I made one out of chopsticks, but it was rubbish. I might have another go this evening.
Jenga pieces are a good idea, maybe I can find some cheap ones nearby at lunchtime. We also bought a bamboo tray/rack type thing yesterday which may provide useful raw material.

McNulty is actually doing OK at climbing around the furniture in the bin already, but I think a bit of help will be better for when she's feeling tired.

Faerydae
11-15-2010, 11:57 PM
if you're in the UK, argos sell there own version for about £4 :)

Fofinha
11-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Yeah, unfortunately we live in Hong Kong which hamster stuffs still very limited. And mostly pet shop in UK don't really ship to here either.

Faerydae
11-16-2010, 05:21 AM
ah that sucks, hope you can find something :)

Fofinha
11-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Wonder what kind of glue that safe for hamster and can put plastic or wood together?

Faerydae
11-16-2010, 11:59 PM
I used epoxy for mine, once it's fully dry it's unchewable :p but hot glue guns with non toxic glue sticks are good :)

Fofinha
11-17-2010, 07:15 AM
We did the inside part now and set up the area. What left now is just making hole and put mesh on the lid.

But seem can only continue next week, since my husband will be on his business trip and I can't do it by myself (I'm pretty clumsy and always injured myself)

A photo what's going on inside.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/5184505344_1bda31db49_z.jpg

Coalhada
11-18-2010, 12:32 AM
I used epoxy for mine, once it's fully dry it's unchewable :p
I was thinking about epoxy but worried McNulty might be able to grind a bit off if she gnawed on it once it had hardened. Is it hamsterproof enough to use on items inside the cage?

redd1800
11-18-2010, 04:54 AM
Very nice!

Faerydae
11-18-2010, 10:35 AM
I was thinking about epoxy but worried McNulty might be able to grind a bit off if she gnawed on it once it had hardened. Is it hamsterproof enough to use on items inside the cage?

Once it's fully dry (about 24 hours) it's perfectly fine, it's fully solid, no way of a hamster being able to chip bits off, my ladders made with it have been in the cage a couple of months now with no problems :)

and the cage is looking great! :D