PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience abit of a drag

Minicooper
10-20-2006, 07:33 AM
Well, as work experience is coming up next year and I want to try and get a placement, I am finding it pretty difficult still, as no one wants to take on under 16's. I asked all the local vets, I also got the rspca phone number and they said to phone back next year.
There is a blue cross, not to far away, so I might give them a ring, but its so difficult, as for health and safety reason they will not employ under 16's for a one week's work experience.
My dad found a place just down the road from us, Its a "K9 Hydrotherapy Centre" for animals. It looks fantastic, I have to wait for them to get back to me on that, so *Fingers Tightly Crossed*

souffle
10-20-2006, 09:07 AM
As work insurance restrictions are becoming more and more stringent it is harder and harder to get placements. Companies are just not willing to lay out money and deal with the paperwork involved in allowing this work experience. It is a huge pity as there is so much to be learnt from this experience. Even when you do get a placement, what they actually let you do is very limited. One of my friends daughter's worked in Subway the sandwich shop last year and all they would let her do was wash lettuce as that was the only thing considered safe! Not a great encouragement to join them in the future. I hope you find something suitable minicooper.

Minicooper
10-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Thanks souffle, I really want to work with animals. I called loads of places, Pet shops, pet charitys, vets, Pets at home and I cant seem to get anything.

No harm in trying

souffle
10-21-2006, 12:43 AM
The local council seems to have things in place for this. Why not try the dog warden minicooper. I know there are places in libraries and local council offices in our region.

SnuggleHam
10-21-2006, 05:37 AM
Just keep trying! I remember when I was young I wanted to volunteer at a local shelter. But I wasn’t able to until I reached a certain age because of legal reasons. You may just have to wait until your the right age. *shrug* but I hope something works out before then. Maybe you can ask your parents about fostering animals for a start?

souffle
10-21-2006, 09:20 AM
In the Uk Snuggleham ,at the year group in school that minicooper is in, all children do a week or two week long work experience. Some schools arrange it but most have to try and get their own placement which can be quite hard as minicooper is finding