PDA

View Full Version : Roborovski Behaviour As A Pair?

racinghamster
09-13-2006, 01:55 AM
Being new to Roborovski ownership, I thought I would ask a few questions about what is normal and what is not.

Firstly, my two little males get on well, but twice I have noticed the subordinate one being a bit wary of the other, even though they don`t fight at all. He also gathers tissue up and makes a nest behind their wheel, while the other one sleeps in the regular nest. They are both together now, but I wondered whether this was behaviour I should be worried about? They are sleeping together now, which is normal, but I can`t help getting paranoid when I see one showing hesitation to enter the nest, or to approach the other.

Don`t get me wrong, they live happily together! But just wondered if any other robo owners have witnessed this behaviour and was it something that led to any complications? My two will soon be moved from their Savic Rody tank, to a larger Gabber Rex tank. I can`t wait! :)

They are sweet little boys and no doubt I`m getting paranoid over nothing, but thought it worth asking others what their robos behaviour was like and if it mirrored the above?

souffle
09-13-2006, 02:17 AM
I have never had Robos but I am sure they just like their own space sometimes. If one submits and no fighting occurs then I would say that is a good thing. It is like that in most species. When they get the Gabbar Rex, as it has two identical areas under each end of the upper level bit (we call it the enchanted corridor!) they may set up their own nests and have 'next door flats'.

racinghamster
09-13-2006, 03:40 AM
I like the sound of adjoining robo flats! :lol: They are fast asleep together now and I suppose I was jumping to conclusions. When you see one hamster building a nest away from the other, alarm bells start to ring. However, I know they get on well, so this is`nt an issue. I would definately say that one is dominant over the other, but male mice show this same behaviour and still tollerate living in the same cage.

Thanks for your input souffle.

AndreaS
09-13-2006, 05:31 AM
Although Sooty and Sweep are WWs not robos, I thought I'd stick my six pennorth in :lol:
Apartfrom when I very first got them, they do not sleep together at all. Either one of them will be in the "enchanted corridor"(great name!) and the other in the plastic house or pumpkin, or sometimes Sweep will sleep behind wheel number two.
Andrea

racinghamster
09-13-2006, 06:17 AM
Thanks Andrea! Well my two are still snoozing together after arousing my suspicions earlier on. Little tinkers! :lol:

AndreaS
09-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks Andrea! Well my two are still snoozing together after arousing my suspicions earlier on. Little tinkers! :lol:

I'm sure they just like to worry their humans :lol:
Andrea

racinghamster
09-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Don`t they just! :roll:

Beowolf72
06-04-2007, 03:38 AM
My Robos sometimes do that as well. What we have figured is when they both go in the wheel, and the Sub gets chewed out by the Dominant one, (lot's of squeeks), then the sub will tend to be away from the other for a while. At times, he will sleep apart from his brother. Then after a while, all seems well.