PDA

View Full Version : New Family

suga
09-03-2006, 03:15 AM
I tried this yesterday - but can't see if it worked or not - so just in case.....

I have a 1 year old Syrian female called Conker. She is the best hamster in the world and brings lots of happiness and laughter to our house. :-)

Look forward to contact on HC and will try and get my pictures and profile sorted as soon as I can.

Thank you.

racinghamster
09-03-2006, 04:26 AM
Hi Suga! Welcome to you and Conker! :) I`m near Stirling in Scotland and there are a good few other Scottish members on here aswell. It`s nice to see another Scot join up!

I have at the moment two male roborovski and one winter white hamster. Soon to be added to I must add!

Hope you enjoy Hamster Central!

souffle
09-03-2006, 04:33 AM
Welcome to the forum Suga and what a lovely name Conker is! :lol: Is she a chestnutty colour by any chance? I am sure you will enjoy the forum and look forward to hearing lots about you and your little family friend!

suga
09-03-2006, 05:10 AM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/sugalass/conker1.jpg

Thanks for the welcome. This is Conker. She is a chestnut colour with white and black bits on her. Will try and find better flicks later. Didn't think to name her after her colour - just decided she looked like a Conker - if you know what I mean :-P?

Conker and her humans are in Central Scotland half way between Glasgow and Edinburgh..... we are from the South of England originally and have been here for 18 months, been a aim to live in this part of the world for ages and it took us 5 years to get here - but we made it and are loving it. So the only real Scottish member of the family is Conker....

The picture of Conker is quite old and she isn't sleeping in the cotton wool type stuff any more - she has a beautiful nest made of toilet roll (don't worry I changed it as soon as I heard it can be bad for hamsters).

Cu soon :-)

SnuggleHam
09-03-2006, 06:32 AM
Welcome Suga, I’m glad we were able to work things out on the forum so you could post! Conker is adorable! its to bad that fluffy bedding is a danger to hamsters because it does look so cozy! I can’t wait to see more pictures!

Im sure youll love it here at HC we are all a friendly bunch and we also have some very experienced hamster owners to answer any questions you might have! :D

racinghamster
09-03-2006, 07:04 AM
Conker is lovely! It`s amazing that they still sell this woolly bedding really when many people are now aware of how dangerous it can potentially be.

Where are you located Suga in Central Scotland? I`m glad you are enjoying it up here! Welcome belatedly to Scotland! x

babyboos
09-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Sadly the wooly bedding is still very popular and I must admit I used it for years with absolutely no problems as a child. But it is now widely regarded as a potential halth risk, and especially should never be used with babies or young hamters, due to the posible risk of becoming entagled around tiny limbs. Most are made from 100% vegetable fibre so the risks of internal blockage are lower but not completely removed. And we all know how amsters love to put things in their mouths - they use their pouches more like saddle bags/back packs and everything finds its way in there eventually... I prefer cheap white toilet roll now from Lidl. I shred it finely with my fingers as I found it blocks the shredder (grrr...)

Suga maybe next time you need some new bedding don't bother with the white fluff and get the shredded paper version instead or make your own - it is actually better. Give Conker as much a she wants and she will soon pouch it and fluff it up into a lovely huge cosy nest.

Conker looks like a Golden Syrian hamster, and a very apt name indeed for this colouration. Where are you based in Scotland? Are you a member of any hamster clubs?

pophammy
09-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum! Conker is lovely! Your profile is great and very informative, good to know all about how you came to like hamsters!

Minicooper
09-03-2006, 08:04 AM
Hi Suga and conker, welcome to HC.

I hope you enjoy your stay and your profile is brilliant.

I have one hamster called (Hammis) and she will be a year old in November! (Read about her in my profile)

Have you got any other animals you would like to share with us or is it just you and conker??

suga
09-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks I feel so welcomed :-) (I won't cry promise)..

So many questions :-P

racinghamster/babyboos - We are just outside Airdrie - towards Harthill and have a gr8 view out the back of our house towards Motherwell and Holytown (which looks very pretty especially at night when its all lite up).

babyboos - we've already started on the toilet roll - I tear into strips and put through the cage - conker then does the rest. Its not as fluffy as the cotton stuff but she seems happy which is good enough for me. Not a member of any hamster clubs no, but did see something on the web about something happening at Mid Calder Zoo on the 9th September. Going to find out about that and try and get along....

minicooper - I have just the one hamster but we have had loads of frogs and newts visiting us over the last week or so coming into the kitchen under the door. Good job I'm here cos my husband doesn't like catching them :).

thanks again guys - I've just rushed downstairs to tell my other half about your replies and he simply says "not surprising Conker is lovely". :-)

jayne
09-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Welcome Suga! I pretty new here to but its good to see another scot on board. There seems to be quite alot of us here. I'm in Paisley but have a few friends who live out in Chapelhall and my fiances brother stays in Hamilton. You're not that far away from me!

Your hammie, Conker, is absolutely gorgeous, a real cutie! :wink:

I would love a syrian, but i am happy with my chinese hamsters at the moment. You never know though what may happen in the future..................... :P

suga
09-13-2006, 12:50 AM
Hey Jayne - thanks. I think HC is great - really useful.....did you see I have a new addition, Fuzee Fi? Have you any flicks of your hamsters and names??

jayne
09-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Hey Jayne - thanks. I think HC is great - really useful.....did you see I have a new addition, Fuzee Fi? Have you any flicks of your hamsters and names??

Oh, is that Fuzee Fi in your profile? If so, cutee and i love the name too, very individual :wink:

I have some pics in my profile, their names are Sweet and Sour, both females.

suga
09-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Yep Fuzee Fi is the little lass at the bottom and Conker is in the upstairs position. Bless both of my girls there the best. Going to go and have a look at Sweet and Sour...

suga
09-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Jayne - back again.... they are so little :) and very cute - love the flick of them on the wheel together. Are they tame and relaxed yet or are you still working on that??

jayne
09-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Jayne - back again.... they are so little :) and very cute - love the flick of them on the wheel together. Are they tame and relaxed yet or are you still working on that??

Thanks Suga, they are getting there. I've had my fair share of downs with them. They still nip occasionally but they don't bite as such. I have been doing better with them but I'm just back from my holidays and I feel like I'm have to start from the halfway mark again. They are fine with each other, at the beginning they would fight but I found out it was probably to do with me handling one of them and not the other, so the one I didn't handle could smell my scent on the other. Hope that makes sense :? Now, if I handle one, the other one gets the same and they are getting along fine now.

They still haven't walked on to my hand yet, but I'm just being patient and hopefully it will come one day *crossing fingers*

Your hammies are very cute, I love the pics too :D

suga
09-14-2006, 10:44 AM
I just pm u. It does take time and its best not to rush.... Conker has been with us for a year and she's happy coming out but it took a while for us to get use to each other. She stil try to escape when out of her house..... just has to have a look at the floor and work out the quickest route out of there....

Fuzee hasn't been out yet. She's had some treats and been smoothed whilst in her home, she's quite inquisitive - comes up to the door and climbs for a better look. Her nose and front paws have been out - just waiting for her to say she's ready for the rest of her body to come..... :P

Glad yours have stopped nipping at you, it won't take long to get use to each other again. We talk to ours all the time to get them use to our voices and tone... so they don't get frightened of us...... the neighbours must think we're mad chatting to ourselves ........