PDA

View Full Version : So Pleased With My Scooby!

racinghamster
09-01-2006, 12:07 PM
I`ve only had Scooby for a few weeks, but already I`ve seen a difference in him since he came here from Littlecritterz rescue! I left him alone for a while to really settle in and get used to the new smells, voices and cage.

Now, he puts his paws against the tank lid when he wants out and I take off the cage lid and lift the base over to my bed and he duly climbs out onto my arm and I give him a sunflower seed as a treat, which he immediately stuffs into his pouch!

He then tootles about on the bed and my knee, getting little treats of organic puffed rice and cuddles. I can really see a difference in him in a short time and I can see my new love of these little hamsters growing.

I was told to begin with that he might be a Campbells/Winter White hybrid, but after speaking to one of the members on here who has far more experience than I do! we decided he was actually, a winter white. I was pleased about that!

I`m glad Scooby is now part of my life and I hope to have more winter whites in the future if Scooby`s character is anything to go by. :)

pophammy
09-02-2006, 10:36 AM
That is great that Scooby is settling in so well. He is lucky to have you as an owner! :D

racinghamster
09-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Thanks pophammy. I hav`nt had hamsters since I was a teenager (I`m 41 now!) and I`m glad I decided to get more. Scooby was in rescue for seven months. He came in with a lot of hamsters who all had to be sexed and seperated as many were pregnant and others were fighting, so Scooby was a lone hamster for a long time. :( he`s now being spoiled! :)

souffle
09-03-2006, 04:42 AM
Great news. He is resopnding to your love there for sure :lol: It is lovely to give a rescue a second chance and he is rewarding you for your patience.

racinghamster
09-03-2006, 06:58 AM
That`s so true souffle. Rescue animals deserve another, better home to recieve the love and attention they require. I feel that taking on rescues is such a rewarding thing to do because not only are you giving that small animal a life it has never known, but picking up the pieces of others who originally bought the animal without really wanting it.

All my rodents (four mice, four gerbils and three hamsters) are all rehomes. I would`nt have it any other way. :) I just adore them all.

There are so many people out there who live alone, or are elderly, but don`t have company too often and a hamster could bring these people the company and happiness they have never known. I strongly believe that.

Minicooper
09-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Good for you racinghamster!!

Like you say there are so many animals that need rehoming, shame I cant have any more animals at the moment as I am 14 but when I get my own place I think I will rescue some little critters that need that loving care!!!

racinghamster
09-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi minicooper. Well Hammis has a lovely home with you and I know how much you love her. I`m sure you will rescue lots of hamsters in the future and you can pat yourself on the back for having done such a wonderful thing.

There will always be hamsters and other small animals out there seeking our help sadly, but we can make a difference to some of them at least.

Minicooper
09-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks Racinghamster, Scooby is one lucky lad to have you as a owner!!

AndreaS
09-05-2006, 10:19 AM
That's brilliant that Scooby is already settling in so well :D He must be loving your attention after so long in rescue. Any photos of him????LOL!
Andrea

racinghamster
09-05-2006, 12:27 PM
I have a cheap digi camera Andrea but not the brains to connect things up to my PC. My friends husband was meant to help me out with this, so I`ll have to pressure him into doing this for me!

Scooby is a wee star! He`s craving more attention from me now and loves climbing out from the base of his cage, out onto my bed and tootles around being nosey and looking for treats! I can hold him and pick him up now and never once has he bitten. I`m in love! :lol:

Minicooper
09-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Dont Tell your Husband that, racinghamster!!!!!!

lol :lol: :lol:

AndreaS
09-06-2006, 06:48 AM
I'm a technophobe - if it's not already set up for me I can't do it so I completely understand :lol:
Have you ever given him a piece of tomato? Sooty and Sweep go absolutely berserk for tomato for some reason.
Andrea

racinghamster
09-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Ha,ha...I`m not married minicooper! I prefer animals! :lol:

Andrea: I will try Scooby and the robos with a wee bit tomato and see if they like it. Thanks for the tip!

AndreaS
09-06-2006, 07:13 AM
Ha,ha...I`m not married minicooper! I prefer animals! :lol:

Andrea: I will try Scooby and the robos with a wee bit tomato and see if they like it. Thanks for the tip!

And men aren't always housetrained :lol: :lol:

You're welcome, I hope they enjoy it :) Sooty and Sweep were racing from wheel to wheel yesterday evening - both of them always wanted the one that the other one was on - they're barmy!!

racinghamster
09-06-2006, 07:18 AM
I originally started out with two mini silent spinners for the robos, but prefer to give them a regular sized single wheel now because they love to run together! Scooby has one all to himself and you know he`s in it because all you hear is this low droaning noise from the metal shelf vibrating because he goes like the clappers! :lol:

AndreaS
09-06-2006, 07:51 AM
:lol: It's amazing the speeds they can get up to! One of the wheels is a full size one, but they always want to go in opposite directions and end up having a girlie sort of a fight with lots of paw waving and squaeking, so for *our* sanity (not entirely sure if I have any :lol: ) I added a second wheel!

racinghamster
09-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Good idea! I have six regular Silent Spinners now. :oops: I bought three mini ones and now find that I won't be using them. They are handy as spares mind you so I don't regret buying them.