PDA

View Full Version : Spare robo!

Emma
08-30-2006, 04:40 AM
So, it's finally happened, I'm now obviously recognised as a mad rodent lady.

Popped into PAH to pick up some rat nuggets, to soak for one of my rats who's not eating properly at the moment. Came out with about 25 pounds worth of stuff - as usual - and a roborovski hamster.

They lost it in the store about 2 months ago, and it turned up a few days ago in one of their 'pheremone traps'. Sounds like a glue trap to me, as he got stuck down in it. They asked me at the till if I'd be interested in rehoming it....at first I said no, as am already taking in a few hamsters next weekend from a big rescue that need rehoming. But then I sat in the car worrying about him.....so went back and took him home.

He's got patches of fur loss & sore skin on his head and around one eye, and a wonky looking hind leg. Other than that is fine in himself, in fact incredibly active and eating very well. He's approx 4 months old, and white-faced/husky. He's quite an active little chap, not brilliant for handling at the moment but I'll probably try to work on that as it'll make him better for rehoming.

So - anyone wants a cute little husky, let me know! He'll have to stay here for a while until his skin is healed & I'm happy with him before I put him up for rehoming properly. He's obviously no good for breeding as we've no idea of his background or history, so will be going to a pet home only.

souffle
08-30-2006, 04:56 AM
You big softy! Lucky little lad to have you look after him. What is his name? Uhu maybe? :oops: Sorry, poor little fellow but at least he is fine now and hopefully will heal up well and be good as new in no time.

SnuggleHam
08-30-2006, 06:08 AM
Awwww! poor little thing, im glad you went back in to adopt him. Im sure if you didnt you would always be wondering if he found a good home. Im sure he will have a great life with you, a nice pampered one hehe.

Emma
08-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Just weighed him - I can't believe how tiny he is - 16g!!!

For comparison my own robs are 26, 28 and 30g at last weigh in.

Have christened him Patch - well he does have patches of fur missing. He's really quite cute, hopefully will be able to find a good home for him when he's healed.

jayne
08-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Aw good on you Emma for taking the little fellow in. He sounds like a wee soul, with his patches and all :wink: I love the name you gave him too, you should try get some pictures of him and post them. :D

I would feel sorry too and would've done the same thing, even though i have no space i would've made some :P

Emma
08-31-2006, 03:41 AM
Gave him a proper check over last night - his right hind leg is definitely broken unfortunately. It can't be much use to him, I suspect it's painful but of course robos don't show much sign of pain.

Got to decide what to do with him now :( I don't know if it's fair to leave him as he is, no idea how long the leg has been like that whether splinting/casting would be an option, whether amputation would be the way to go. To be honest I wasn't really up for spending a lot of money on him either. Gah! Taking him to the qualified vet for a second opinion!

racinghamster
08-31-2006, 04:17 AM
Oh no Emma that`s rotten news. :( The poor wee thing. damn Pets At Home for losing him like that. :evil: (it`s racingrat here from fancy rats!) :)

See what the vet sais and take things from there. I know when gerbils break a leg, you just leave them to it and they usually do very well. However, robos have long, spindley little back legs and they run so fast usually! I feel so sorry for him. I know the easiest thing to do would be to have him put to sleep, but I`m sure everyone on here would make that a last option if nothing can be done for this wee soul. I do hope he can be saved. x We all await an update! :) Lets hope it`s good news. (Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for him!) xxx

Emma
08-31-2006, 05:04 AM
I didn't give him a proper check over at first, PAH said they'd taken him to their own vet who gave him the ok - can't have looked very hard is all I can say! Apart from the leg, he has bruising around his right eye and the fur loss, on his nose & right side of his face looks like he peeled skin off too but that is healing well already. He can't close his bruised eye properly at the moment and it was looking sticky, so I've been putting on a lubricating eye ointment so he doesn't get exposure keratitis as well.

The leg seems either broken or dislocated at the hock joint. It's not moving properly at all, and he seems to bear weight on the upper part of his leg with the lower part pretty much flapping uselessly. He totters around alright, but not seen him in the wheel - although of course he probably hasn't seen a wheel before now!

Going to have a chat with my vet friend and have a think about it. Money wouldn't have been an issue before but the uni practice has started charging students consult fees :evil: and the rats have cost me 70 quid between them in the last week.

Emma
08-31-2006, 09:17 AM
Patch is going to be a 3-legged hamster!

Can't leave it like it is, he's booked in for Tuesday to have it amputated. That gives me a few days to feed him up before the anaesthetic.

racinghamster
08-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Aw the wee man, bless him. It`s the best thing to do Emma considering the lower half of his leg is`nt functional. It`s a miracle PAH did`nt have him put down because you know what they are like.

It would be nice if he recovered and could be introduced to another robo, but never having done robo introductions, I can`t comment on what the outcome would be!

Sending lots of wishes to the wee soul. I hope he pulls though and enjoys his life. x

souffle
08-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Poor wee lad and so tiny. Will think of him on Tuesday and wish him lots of luck with the op. Hope he recovers quickly. All the best little Patch

racinghamster
09-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Good luck finding wee Patch a nice home Emma. I saw your ad in the Classifieds! I`m sure there is a nice quiet home out there for him somewhere. (or you could keep him! :wink: )

AndreaS
09-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Hi Emma,
Thank goodness you took poor Patch :) PAH want shooting :0(

I would be very interested in offering him a home if the transport issue could be worked out with a hammy train??? I'm up in Sunderland, Tyne & Wear.
Andrea

racinghamster
09-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Good luck Andrea! I hope transport can be arranged. He would have a nice home with you. x

AndreaS
09-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Good luck Andrea! I hope transport can be arranged. He would have a nice home with you. x

Thank you :) I have got fingers crossed..........
Andrea

babyboos
09-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Oh Emma it is probably for the best. How on earth did they come to offer you him in the first place? Bet they were glad you went in otherwise who knows what would have happened to him.

Emma
09-11-2006, 02:31 PM
I think one of the girls recognised me from asking awkward questions/making complaints every time I go in!

As I put in the classified ad we ended up not doing the amputation as the leg has stabilised somewhat, although it's still not 'normal' it's not hanging off like it was when he first came here, so we're leaving him to it.

Sorry I didn't see your message before Andrea. Patch now has a provisional home if transport can be arranged which we're working on.

I'll post again though if it falls through it's good to know that there are plenty of loving homes out there! Robos often end up in rescue so it's worth keeping an eye out.

racinghamster
09-12-2006, 01:19 AM
I can't understand why Robos are not as popular as other hamster species because I think they are unique and just a joy to have. I know people percieve them as too fast and 'not able to handle easily', but I don't think you need to handle these little hamsters all that much, unless it's really necessary.

I simply adore them and my two males are fabulous little pets. :) Definately NOT a child's pet, but unique all the same.