PDA

View Full Version : Language on the forum *Reminder*

souffle
09-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Could I please remind members to watch their language on the forum. I have spent a lot of time lately editing posts to remove mildly offensive words and swear words.
I know these are creeping into our launguage these days but this is a family forum and we do not want younger members to read these things. Abbreviated letters for swearing is also not acceptable. We all know what these mean and say them in our heads so don't use them.
Please also avoid the overuse of text talk such as LOL. One LOL per post is quite enough and try and remember that some of our members do not have English as a first language so too much text talk is impossible for them to understand.
Thank you

fluffymunchkins
09-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Thankyou souffle, i know i'm guilty of this lately so i'll be sure to be much more careful with my language :)

debs
09-26-2010, 09:42 AM
ok sorry :) :D

wofunny
09-26-2010, 09:48 AM
i don't think i have ever committed the bad language crime! :mad:

mangoandmimi
09-26-2010, 09:55 AM
sorry, i always use text talk :oops:

DeweyTheHammy
09-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Haha I'll have to work on that... I usually catch my self swearing before I post it though and erase it! I have to admit that even though I'm only 14, I swear A LOT. It's just a bad habit ): sorry :oops:

Fidgetthefirst
09-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Haha I'll have to work on that... I usually catch my self swearing before I post it though and erase it! I have to admit that even though I'm only 14, I swear A LOT. It's just a bad habit ): sorry :oops:

Me too, picked that up from school :/ im only 13 :L

I dont really use bad language on here or text talk, the only thing i say is 'LOL'

mangoandmimi
09-26-2010, 11:09 AM
same lol i only really say lol :D its like a really annoying habbit which i should stop :L i feel left out i dont swear much :P

DeweyTheHammy
09-26-2010, 11:14 AM
I also tend to say "lmfao" a lot. Is this bad? haha its a combination of swearing and text talk O.O I guess I'll quit with that phrase.

mangoandmimi
09-26-2010, 11:15 AM
lmfao? i just say lmao :)

Silver
09-26-2010, 11:49 AM
I often see that written. Whats the clean version mean?. I can work out the swear version :mad:

DeweyTheHammy
09-26-2010, 11:53 AM
I often see that written. Whats the clean version mean?. I can work out the swear version :mad:

lmfao = laugh my effing a** off
lmao = the same thing but without the f bomb.

Silver
09-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Oh ok thank you xxx

souffle
09-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Those two are most certainly not acceptable :(

debs
09-26-2010, 12:46 PM

I dont really use bad language on here or text talk, the only thing i say is 'LOL'

i only use "lol" too

Vectis Hamstery
09-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks, Souffle. 'lol' drives me batty and the rest of the text speak makes things incomprehensible to me - and English is my fisrt language too. I'm all for any thing to make communication clearer here.
Now I feel really old :(

lisab
09-26-2010, 01:08 PM
i always think your not texting so use proper english.

i hate to much lols all the time

wofunny
09-26-2010, 01:57 PM
i don't mind the occasional LOL... but loads in the same post are very annoying!

Ellie
09-26-2010, 02:19 PM
when I'm texting I tend to use it every five secounds and have to edit my texts.. Oops!! But forums and stuff I don't think I use it (much?) What a great word it is though when you can;t think of things to say!!

Amethyst_ice
09-26-2010, 04:05 PM
hahaha i am currently trying to get my 14 yr old sister to stope abbreviating everything and spell things correctly..so yes i am all for correct grammar and english! ;) x

DeweyTheHammy
09-26-2010, 05:19 PM
I spell everything correctly. (most of the time haha). I even do it when I'm texting. The only abbreviations I use are lol and lmfao.

I HATE this:

hey wat up im lik so ttly bored right now letz hang wat r u doing?

me: GAHHHHH ADLFJHD.JKBG,TG , R,

RachK
09-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Thanks, Souffle. 'lol' drives me batty and the rest of the text speak makes things incomprehensible to me - and English is my fisrt language too. I'm all for any thing to make communication clearer here.
Now I feel really old :(

Join the club. :) I always write in full English too. We must be a pair of dinosaurs. In fact I would find it hard to even try to write in text talk. I don't even own a mobile phone. :mad:

SarahJ
09-27-2010, 02:27 AM
Im guilty of the text talk, will try and stop it! its a bad habbit ive got in to so it may slip through every now and then so ill say sorry now incase it does!

Fritzi
10-21-2010, 12:26 PM
I think it's funny how abbreviating words is called text talk now. When I text, I use proper english and punctuation. When I was in middle school, text talk was called 'chat speak.' Now chat speak means something completely different. I don't ever use 'lol,' I use 'haha.' Think about it, if everyone was really laughing out loud when they said lol, I think the world would be a much happier place.

Fidgetthefirst
10-21-2010, 04:29 PM
I spell everything correctly. (most of the time haha). I even do it when I'm texting. The only abbreviations I use are lol and lmfao.

I HATE this:

hey wat up im lik so ttly bored right now letz hang wat r u doing?

me: GAHHHHH ADLFJHD.JKBG,TG , R,

Same here! And all my friends call me posh because of it! Well i apologise that i know how to spell correctly! ;)

suga
11-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Could I please remind members to watch their language on the forum. I have spent a lot of time lately editing posts to remove mildly offensive words and swear words.
I know these are creeping into our launguage these days but this is a family forum and we do not want younger members to read these things. Abbreviated letters for swearing is also not acceptable. We all know what these mean and say them in our heads so don't use them.
Please also avoid the overuse of text talk such as LOL. One LOL per post is quite enough and try and remember that some of our members do not have English as a first language so too much text talk is impossible for them to understand.
Thank you

Just a reminder to everyone about text talk and swear words/language.

Its been noticed recently that text talk and some swear words are creeping back in again. Once more the moderating team seem to be spending time trying to amend posts to remove swear words or re-jig the post to help it to read a little easier.

Can you check your posts before you post to make it a little easier for all our members.

thanks suga

anorak
11-01-2010, 09:48 AM
I don't even understand text speak! I am too old. I used LOL once I think!

mangoandmimi
11-01-2010, 09:50 AM
I only really use lol :) the rest is just silly :P

SnickersTheFirst
11-01-2010, 12:03 PM
I only really use lol :) the rest is just silly :P

Well, you do love to use 'lol'. :D haha

mangoandmimi
11-01-2010, 12:05 PM
haha yeah - i'l cut down -.- :D

SnickersTheFirst
11-01-2010, 12:07 PM
I know it's hard - I'm tempted to use it in every post! It's just habit. :D

mangoandmimi
11-01-2010, 12:10 PM
haha i'm tempted to use it in every single sentence luckily i catch myself...

nomnomnom<3
11-21-2010, 03:22 PM

same :oops:

Charlottington-K
01-04-2012, 10:52 AM

Ha same i'm 14 and i also picked it up from school!!! I'll try to be a bit more careful!!!