PDA

View Full Version : New here, just wanted to say hi!

foxykitty911
08-25-2006, 09:35 AM
I am the new owner of two hamsters. I was getting ready for work on Monday when my mother-in-law come by and dropped off two hamsters. She found them in a small plastic container next to a dumpster. Since I already have lots of animals(all reptiles) She decided to bring them to me. The male looks albino, but I can't really tell because so far his eyes have only opened into a slit. The female is a golden. I had to go to work so I couldn't research them at all. I just had time to put them into a ten gallon tank with clean bedding, a water bottle and food. When I got home, they were mating! So now they are seperated. I examed the male more closely and found that he had several semi-healed gashs on his stomache and sides. But he seems fine, he's very active.

racinghamster
08-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Hi foxkitty. Looks like your going to have lots of little hamsters running around soon?!! Oh dear! :?

Do you know what breed they are yet? One being cream and one being white, they could be either Syrian or one of the dwarf species like Campbells or Winter Whites?

You should be able to identify them by looking at some photos on here that other members have posted of their hamsters? I hope they are okay.

foxykitty911
08-25-2006, 10:44 AM
I believe that they are Syrian. The female looks like normal, but the male looks more mouse like.

souffle
08-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Welcome to the forum and what a great job to start with by rescuing these hammies in need. Are they fully grown? As you said the male was white but had only slightly slit-like eyes it is possible he may be an anopthalmic white. They are produced when two hamsters carrying the white belly gene are mated. If he is so young that his eyes are not yet fully open then the mating would be unlikely to be successful so heres hoping as it would be a stress on the female. The wounds have probably been caused by them fighting as syrians should be kept alone.

foxykitty911
08-25-2006, 11:04 AM
He definitly looks full grown. It's been fours days since they mated and the girl is getting slightly rounder. She's also been building and rebuilding a nest area.

souffle
08-25-2006, 11:12 AM
The females do not usually show until maybe 9-10 days so she may just be plumping up now she is being looked after. It is not a good idea to mate an anapthalmic white but if the deed is done it is done and you should prepare the female for giving birth at 16days. Read the breeding section in HC and ask any quiestions. I would make sure that the babies are never bred as they will carry the white belly gene if you do think the male is an anopthalmic white. Do you have any pics? Ask any questions and we can help you through the litter if it comes.

SnuggleHam
08-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Pictures would be great, we could probably help ya out more, at least get a handle on just what’s what here.

I’m glad your mother picked up the little ones when she found them. Its horrible how people abuse animals, I can’t comprehend the mind frame, they are lucky to have found a person interested in raising them and giving them a loving home.

foxykitty911
08-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Here is what the female looks like. It's a picture I found on a search but it looks just like her.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i313/foxykitty911/syrian-hamster-0036.jpg

foxykitty911
08-25-2006, 02:05 PM
And here is what the male looks like, but he won't open his eyes.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i313/foxykitty911/626px-Hamster.jpg

babyboos
08-26-2006, 02:08 AM
Hello foxykitty911 so please you found us.
Looks like you definitely have a pair of Syrians there. So you did right to split them up. The female may be pregnant so treat her as such but don't be too upset if the plumpness is merely down to your excellent care. Dehydration can cause them to keep their eyes closed but I would have thought by now they would be open if this was the case. I too suspect like souffle that your male may be an Eyeless White. Does he appear to have teeth?

souffle
08-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Your female appears to be a golden and I still suspect the male may be eyeless. Do the eyes appear sticky or anything? You could try bathing with some cooled boiled water with a little salt in in to see if that will loosen the lids. Can you see any bumps or the impression that eyes might be there under the lids? The babies will probably be OK with regard to eyes but you cannot be sure what a golden might be carrying. Feed extra protein to the female like chicken and tofu and at about two days before the litter is due clean the cage, give plenty bedding and prepare a very quiet place for her. Be sure not to touch her or the pups until they are about 10days old as she may kill the litter if you do. Good luck.

pophammy
08-27-2006, 06:28 AM
I have searched around and have found some pictures to see if you can compare them to your male.

This is an eyeless white male.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/Pophammy/eyelesswhiteM.jpg

This is an eyeless white female.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/Pophammy/eyelesswhiteF.jpg

Eyeless whites can still lead a normal life as hamster's eyesight is poor anyway. They are best kept on a single level and not having their toys, food dishes, etc. being moved around too much. Sometimes there may be other defects present and they may not live as long as a normal Syrian.

Here is a link to some useful information on eyeless whites. It is also likely that your male is deaf if he is an eyeless.

http://www.hammysworld.com/index.php?p=eyeless

foxykitty911
08-27-2006, 09:30 PM
That looks like him exactally!