PDA

View Full Version : My new homemade cage

Hammie
09-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Having seen some excellent homemade cages I wanted to give it a go. I had previously posted about making one on my mantlepiece but i thought it may be too narrow. Well I managed to tweak the design and use thinner wood etc and make it wider. It has two levels, each five foot long.

I haven't made the ladders/interior yet but i have made the frame and have made sliding perspex doors.

I am actually really pleased with it. Let me know what you think.

Has two vents on the top

ALso both sides have holes drilled

Perspex sliding doors with perspex rim to hold bedding in.

mangoandmimi
09-01-2010, 02:37 PM
wow that is so big and impressive!
how many hams are you going to put in there?
hehe dead jealous - and you're hamster will be very verylucky!!

Hammie
09-01-2010, 02:51 PM
I am going to put a single or a pair of dwarf hamsters in there - haven't quite decided yet.

mangoandmimi
09-01-2010, 02:53 PM
aww they will be one lucky pair of hammys!!!
personally i'd get robos - they'd make lovely use of the floorspace and dont like to climb as much XD

ps robos are also fantastic to watch -especially through those big seethrough doors!!

wofunny
09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Wow! That is very impressive :D

Hope
09-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Looks really good :-)

Faerydae
09-01-2010, 03:47 PM
wow that's amazing! bet the hammies will love it :D

Fidgetthefirst
09-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Wow! :D Thats brilliant! :P

princess-rhi89
09-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Brilliant :) Cant wait to see it with its new occupants :D xxx

Redame
09-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Looks very good! Also nicely done with the holes: it looks professional :D

Let us know what hammies will go in there and see how they like it! :D

Lulu
09-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Wow!! Thats fantastic, no wonder you are so pleased with it! Well done. X

annie81
09-02-2010, 01:09 AM
thats impressive...i wish i could do that too...i am useless at these things ;-)

nooboo
09-02-2010, 06:42 AM
i would not place a pair in that, there is just too much room, a problem many dont consider!

With that amount of space one will claim a corner or more and it will lead to fighting, which of course can be potentially lethal.

Even with a single it may be too much space, some hamsters can become very distressed if they find themselves in a huge home....again as i said something not many seem to be aware of, but sometimes a home really can be too big. The usual responce will be it will only 'live' in one area at a time, maybe moving where it stays...the worse will be a hamster that is constantly terrified.

Trying to think what species may be best...will give it a bit more thought

Adam
09-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Wow, that's impressive, it looks good and is huge too.

Hammie
09-02-2010, 10:04 AM
i would not place a pair in that, there is just too much room, a problem many dont consider!

With that amount of space one will claim a corner or more and it will lead to fighting, which of course can be potentially lethal.

Even with a single it may be too much space, some hamsters can become very distressed if they find themselves in a huge home....again as i said something not many seem to be aware of, but sometimes a home really can be too big. The usual responce will be it will only 'live' in one area at a time, maybe moving where it stays...the worse will be a hamster that is constantly terrified.

Trying to think what species may be best...will give it a bit more thought

Thanks for the advice, I suppose I hadn't thought that it could be too big. However I have considered that a hamster may be distressed by the space at first and there is a chance of fighting with a pair. This is why I am only going to be using the bottom level to start with so that any hamster only has half the space to get used to at first. I can then put in ladders at a later date.

About fighting I have made it so that it can be easily split into two if needed. I have ensured their is an opening at each end leading up to the second floor. This way I can put two pieces of wood in the middle and divide both levels in half so that each would have half the top and half the bottom.

Dora
09-02-2010, 10:42 AM
great job.

fluffymunchkins
09-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Its fantastic!!!

I only learnt about they could have too much room recently, it'd have never occured to me either. But i had peggy in a zz2 all the herself and she never seemed bothered about it being 'too big' in the slightest?
Maybe thats just her :)

mangoandmimi
09-02-2010, 11:29 AM
actually i think gerbils may be better in it?? i dont know correct me if i'm wrong - but lol i've never had gerbils XD i think gerbils will be happy with the room to run around - you might have to add something for them to dig in though...
mice? hmm dont know lol i've only ever had hammys!

fluffymunchkins
09-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Gerbils need a deep base and will destroy the wood on the cage, a glass tank is best.
Mice need to be able to climb, barred cages that are high are best.

Billions
09-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Wow! Impressive, that's really well put together. Gratz! :D