PDA

View Full Version : Building a wooden cage.. Levels and heights??

Linzie
08-22-2010, 05:13 AM
Hi I posted a thread in the Housing section but think it might be more suited here...

I'm currently in the process of designing and building a large wooden cage for my Syrian hamster... Hes a bit of a bar chewer and his current sealed cage just isn't big enough for him.

I'm thinking of something similar in style to the Phoenix cage sold at zoo plus...

Phoenix cage (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/mouse_cages/162363)

The inside stuff won't be as fancy as this one though! Does anyone have any thoughts or pics of what their hamsters dream cage would be?

I also wondered if any of you guys owned the Phoenix cage already... wondering what the pros and cons are? I see a few of you DIY experts have converted some cabinets also.

At the moment my concern is having Herman fall off the higher shelves... I wondered if its better to have one big shelf for an extra level and maybe a smaller one above that. My Hamster is a real climber so I want to give him things to do, but I also worried giving him too far to drop... anyone got any thoughts on whats a "safe" height??

Anyways, as I am designing this from scratch, any of your thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated! Well I say "I" but I'm not actually building it... that's being done by my stepfather :) He's going to build the box bit himself so it can be sent to me flat-packed in the mail!

Thanks in advance!

mangoandmimi
08-22-2010, 05:37 AM
lol in the mail XD wish i could make a cage, but it would probably collapse on the poor hamster :L
i think i already wrote out some pros and cons in the otherone lol so i wont repeat :)

Linzie
08-22-2010, 06:04 AM
I live in london and my folks are in the highlands!

mangoandmimi
08-22-2010, 06:10 AM
wow lol far away!

Linzie
08-22-2010, 07:26 AM
here's my first set of architectural drawings :-)

Its going to have a perspex front, drawer at the bottom and mesh lid..

Hamster palace (http://twitpic.com/2h6ujh)

fluffymunchkins
08-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Wow yh, thats going to be awesome :mrgreen:

Linzie
08-22-2010, 08:22 AM
My family thinks I've lost it!

mangoandmimi
08-22-2010, 08:25 AM
i'm not surprised Linzie XD wow thats impressive!! your hamsters going to love it!

Linzie
08-22-2010, 08:33 AM
I just want something big so I can fill it fun toys and stuff.

SnickersTheFirst
08-22-2010, 08:47 AM
That's gonna look great and it's even bigger than my Hamster Heaven cage! :)

mangoandmimi
08-22-2010, 10:28 AM
i think its gonna turn out good XD so long as you coat it in plastikote you'll be fine XD goodluck!