Thread: Little Pico
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2022, 11:22 AM  
heidii
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Little Pico

Hi. I made a post about Pico spinning the other day, as his behaviour had begun to change. I did notice he'd spend more time spinning than running on his wheel, but he was otherwise active and exploring his cage during the day, with very little spins.

I have never had an older hamster, and whilst I don't know Pico's age, I have never seen the "before they pass" signs. I noticed the behaviour change and made a post thinking maybe it was because of stress (or some other suggestions I got), but I didn't expect him to be this seemingly healthy up until he just wasn't? I know hamsters are prey animals and so therefore they pretend to be fine up until their not, but I thought I would've noticed something. Guess that's just beginner hamster carer thinking they'd catch on.

I am quite worried about him. I didn't see him yesterday, when his routine is extremely regular. I put some of his regular mix on his wheel, alongside a mealworm as they are his favourites. Normally, I could put an insect in his enclosure and he'd instantly wake up and come have a look. However, I checked all last night and this evening, but his seed mix is still there.

I really want to start scooping bedding out to try and see him, but I know you shouldn't really do that if he is just sleeping. How long should I wait before emptying his enclosure trying to find him? He's a Robo in a Detolf, so it would take a while to find him in there. I am really worried, and was going to start scooping out bedding tonight. Or should I wait till tomorrow? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I can't stop thinking about him.
heidii is offline   Reply With Quote