View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 06:03 AM  
Evangeline
Newborn Pup

Default I found 2 ducklings

I was walking my labrador about an hour ago and saw 2 ducklings running in the middle of the road, I kept back and watched to see what happened and noticed all these seagulls eyeing them up so I quickly caught them both and looked around in gardens and asked people if they had seen the mother duck, although one person said he knows where the mother duck is and he will take them to her but he owns snakes so I thought yea I bet you know where the mother is and said no I want to see the mother first so he said she might not even be there now.

So I brought them home still looking for mum or any sign of other ducklings. To be honest there no natural pond around for miles, so im guessing maybe seagulls brought them there in the first place.

I have put them in a big box and given them a dog bowl with water in, and scattered straw around for them. I have also given them some grass and bread to eat. I have rung the RSPCA and they said they cannot get here today and my best bet would be to release them where I know there are other ducklings about. But have read mother ducks will kill stray ducklings to help her lot survive or something like that.

I have a friend who lives on a farm in Kingsteignton who does hatch duck, chicken and other eggs so they will happily keep them for me, but I have always wanted to raise ducks myself after watching fly away home. Is there any food that isnt for ducks but they can eat it? As I know my petshops dont have duck food. Does pets at home sell it as im going there tonight anyway for bird food and new fish?

They also will not shut up lol, and my boyfriends mum is on nights and keeps effing and blinding at the seagulls as she thinks its them. Will be in abot of trouble when she wakes up and finds out it was ducklings lol

Can anyone advise me on what else I can do??

The ducks
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/4462/1001231v.jpg
The Box (I hope its okay but it was a rush to get it)
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1207/1001232s.jpg
Evangeline is offline   Reply With Quote