View Single Post
Old 01-05-2022, 11:45 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: New Hamster...3 days in...when and how to clean?

No wouldn’t do it if he’s in there! I see what you mean. If he’s out and about in the cage at some point you could do it then - with minimal fuss and quite quickly. But not if he’s in the house. Assume the litter tray fits in the back compartment?! They usually fit well leaving access clear to both doorways.

If you think he’s taken up residence in the house then maybe leave it a few more days before removing the potty tray.

Not sure which tube you mean? The plastic one round the cage is there to give access isn’t it? From one side to the other. Which is a good thing for him to have so no wouldn’t remove that unless he suddenly decided to nest in it and block it up. He shouldn’t fo that if he’s settled on nesting somewhere.

The tube that leads under the substrate I’d take out - it could be used out of cage at some point maybe - it would be a bit familiar. He might be a bit confused or miffed but only for a day or so. Long term gain versus short term pain type thing!

So these small tweaks should be fine. Moving things about regularly stresses them. Some things they get very fond of and do get upset if they have to be removed. Which is why I was thinking better now than when he gets set in his ways.

Your wheel looks good - which one is it? He’s also a very lucky hamster. I’m sure in a couple of weeks time he’ll be being quite cheeky and visibly enjoying everything in his cage. If he’s moved substrate round the outside of the hiuse then thatMs probably to insulate it - ours do that. Or to block a crack of light eg.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 01-05-2022 at 11:53 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote