View Single Post
Old 12-28-2021, 02:01 PM  
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default Re: My hamster just attacked me for the first time ever

I too am super thankful for this page, I know for a fact if I type in now on google what is the accepted minimum cage size or wheel for a hamster it will say something ridiculous. My previous Syrian before I found this forum, her cage was tall rather than long. I had her out for hours on end though and we’d sleep in bed together some nights (obviously I’d put her back before I fell asleep!) but I can honestly say she had a happy life. But getting my new hamster Mitzi this cage I feel so dumb because I look at the new long cage she has now recommended from this page and think…this could go bigger! As you say the support from pet shops and google is disgusting when you see what is actually good for them. I couldn’t ever image having a hamster in any less of what I have now.

I have had cats all my life and the cat we have now I consider my partners cat. But I have to admit with how busy my life is and how often our plans change, for my lifestyle I think a hamster is best for me. Maybe that’s what your ex-girlfriend meant was it suited her lifestyle more. I have university in the day and am dealing with a lot life-wise, the only rest I get is at night and that’s perfect for Mitzi to get up and make me smile after a rough day. The cat’s normally asleep by then lol. Also not to sound cruel but cats are long life commitment and say I finish uni and travel to get a job, hamsters have shorter lives so I won’t necessarily have to stress her out with a big move. Also, yes hamsters cost more in some way but I don’t have to do flea treatment for a hamster every month and vet visits tend to cost less. I love both just right now hamsters are perfect for me.

Behaviour wise I’d say all are different, you saying about ears down they normally do this when they’ve just woken up. Almost to say “do not disturb me”. If you see them rubbing their sides against anything their scent marking so are feeling territorial. You might see him doing that tonight when he sees his new gifts! I personally prefer Syrians as I believe they have the ability to be more cuddly, smaller breeds tend to be more scatty so it could make it hard to tell how they’re feeling. But after a while I think you just know.

Yes I remember those bugs! Normally only fleas, ticks, and mites need a host animal so for a normal vet diagnosing this should be easy as this is standard across all animals and would need the same treatment. I just mean the biting doesn’t show any physical signs of illness. A standard vet might know but I’d have my doubts they would and could end up prescribing something that could make your hammie ill. I honestly don’t know what to think of the biting. I’d just leave him be for tonight especially with the new toys as it’s a big change, I guess just see if he continues doing it.
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote