View Single Post
Old 12-19-2021, 03:55 AM  
ShadowNinjaHamster

Default Re: My hamster was screaming in the morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Relax.

Your hamster probably had a nightmare and screeched in his sleep. Dwarf hamsters especially are able to screech quite loudly. I got alarmed and worried too the first time i heard it.
Don't feel like you are a bad owner. He's a very lucky hamster to have a caring human companion like you.

As for the water. Why don't you put the bowl on top of his house, a shelf or somewhere away from the substrate. I'd also give him a bottle as well because hamsters should have two sources of water in case one fails.

Hoarding food is perfectly normal hamster behaviour. That's what hamsters do. They forage for food, eat some but pouch most of it to add to their hoards to snack from later.

You say that you give your hamster sweets. What kind of sweets are they? Anything fruit and honey based is best avoided because dwarfs are prone to diabetes but there are other and healthier treats. Just because dwarfs are prone to diabetes doesn't mean that your hamster is going to get it because he had a few sweets so don't worry unnecessarily.
Now he has been calm and sleeping. I'm assuming he had a nightmare, because he had his "sleepy eyes" when I woke him up. I'm not even 100% sure if you can wake a hamster up like that. I usually try to give him peace.
At the moment I only have Vitakraft carrot drops (Sugar free) and Nestor Biscuit Drops with carrots.(This one has sugar in it and I give that one to him very very rarely) and cucumber and salad. I also have some banana biscuits, but he does not eat those and he also doesn't eat apples.

Ever since I upgraded the cage to a bigger one I upgraded his house, but I don't really want him to climb anywhere, because I am afraid he might hurt himself, but still, it's not a bad idea. I don't even know if he does it on purpose or by accident.

I've never seen him using the bottle, so I am not sure whether or not he knows how to use it or do I have to teach him somehow?
I might try it again. I don't mind changing the water several times per day.

Thank you for your reply.
ShadowNinjaHamster is offline   Reply With Quote