View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 08:13 PM  
Yamper
Newborn Pup

Default Hamster with cancer

Hello!

I have been reading posts on here for a while but never posted until now because I am truly desperate. I need more opinions on this

So my hamster's name is Yamper and he is around 17 months old now (I've had him for 16 months). We noticed a lump about the size of a quarter on his neck a week ago and made a vet appointment right away but their only availability was 5 days later. During the 5 days wait, his lump started to get even bigger until it was the size of a ping pong ball. They did not recommend coming in as an emergency because Yamper was still very active and eating well. So, fast forward to the appointment, the vet did some tests and we found out that it is cancer... The options are to simply put him on medication or do surgery... the vet suggests the latter...

I read that a lot of people decided not to do surgery on their hamsters and they lived for a while even with their tumors but I am not sure with doing that because of the size of Yamper's. He's still very healthy the vet said (other than being uncomfortable from the size of the tumor) so I am very torn between decisions.

I scheduled the surgery for Monday (again, just following what the vet said) and I am giving him 0.05 ml of Prednisolone and Enrofloxacin until then. Should I go through with the surgery?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211120_074316.jpg (79.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20211120_074312.jpg (89.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20211120_074338.jpg (104.0 KB, 12 views)
Yamper is offline   Reply With Quote