View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 01:54 PM  
Stubbo
Newborn Pup

Default Re: New Syrian...how to prioritise cage contents...

Thanks all. Agree with everything everyone says...initially.this was my wife's idea (she had a hamster as a child) and I've no experience at all, but she was suggesting small cages etc (from what she knew as a child) so I took it on to do the research of how to do it right. I keep fish and dart frogs too, and know there is a big difference between an animal that can survive in an environment, versus one that will thrive.

You're all absolutely right about the kids and what their interest will be. My boy (4) won't really hold any interest other than from afar, and my daughter (6 although mature for her age for sure) will like the idea of holding/stroking, but probably be more scared of it than the hamster will even be of her as and when it's running around and will take time to get used to it (so inevitably all care and taming will fall to me and my wife, more than likely me).

However from the research I've been doing, I'm looking forward to owning a hamster personally now. Am doing all I can to get the cage setup right, doing lots of reading and YouTube comsumption (really should be doing more actual work!), have identified local vets and also small animal boarders for when holidays come around, and keen to source from somewhere reputable if possible.

Obviously a forum like this is also invaluable to learn from the experience of others.

Back to my posts topics...managed to make the end shelf today from some untreated Spruce, as well as the platform for standing the wheel and potentially sand bath if the Hamster likes that...might need to get creative with the platform though since the base is a bit flexible in the middle so wobbly to stand...have an idea on that though. Got some quadrant section to raise the Rodipet Maze too so progress being made.
Stubbo is offline   Reply With Quote