Thread: Mites?!
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2021, 11:35 AM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: Mites?!

It looks too big to be a mote to me, it's certainly a lot bigger than the mites that I recentely had in my hamstery which to the naked eye were not much larger than a small speck. I would hazard a guess that it's some kind of moth which can be a nuisance but are not normally harmful to hamsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Hmm. I agree about freezing hay and as Ria knows I’ve also had moth house invasions. Hay is usually other bugs snd mites. Bit as rabbit owners use hay a lot it makes me wonder if it’s normal for them to freeze hay as they must go through quite a bit. Whereas hay is optional/unnecessary for hamsters and usually small amounts.
I've never frozen hay for the guinea pig and we've only had two incidences of hay mites in the five and a half years we've had him and both occasions have been September time, which can be quite common apparently. We usually treat him with a preventative anti-parasitic though as he usually goes outside in his run during the summer months and consequently is more at risk of picking up various things.
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote