Thread: Rescue hamster
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 03:46 PM  
Lilafernim
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Rescue hamster

I’m not a vet, and if a vet has said it’s okay, then I would assume it would be okay to continue on using metacam.

However, I would keep in mind that if his actions are due to stress, not illness, then it would just cause side effects.

Metacam can damage the liver and kidneys with long term use, and also can cause incoordination which would worsen his problem.

I’m really sorry you’re left with this on your shoulders, as it is not fair.

Personally, I would maybe give them half a dosage of the metacam so it doesn’t exhibit as many side effects. I’m only thinking this because when we get really stressed I think we can become confused and if we were to have paracetamol, it might make us drowsy but it does not solve the stress. I’m not saying that there isn’t an illness but as the vets said he’s all clear its bizarre, so maybe er on the safe side of caution.

I think just focus on letting him settle and giving updates to the adoption centre, so if anything progresses it shows in calls that you had told them this and it was immediately after leaving their care.

And maybe like I said try small doses of metacam and if it continues, find a new long term solution as using medication for so long is not exactly ideal.
Lilafernim is offline   Reply With Quote