Thread: Pickle's Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2021, 12:57 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Pickle's Thread

I was thinking that too. Emailing a photo. I asked the vet today, who was lovely, if she’d taken a photo to show the exotic vet and she said no, so not sure how exotic vet can advise without seeing him.

Yes something is pushing the eye out. Either an abscess/infection (possibly tooth abscess or he could have scratched his eye somehow and it got infected). Or a tumour.

What I need to think about is if he is up to more surgery of the eye needs to be removed- mainly to avoid suffering if it burst eg. Still thinking about that and wait and see what exotic vet says. Presumably they could tell what’s been pushing it if they remove the eye. I have seen stories of a hamster’s eye “falling out” after protruding due to infection. Not sure how accurate that is.

The thing is he is very healthy otherwise and very active and enjoying life - if it came to surgery or pts I’d opt for surgery.

Anyway one day at a time. He has now eaten all the meaty baytril so will give the second dose at bedtime and the Metacam now (if I give both in food he may not eat everything in one go).

One thing I do know is any sign of an eye problem is a medical emergency. Vet said she wanted twice a day antibiotics to hit any infection hard - if it is infection.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote