View Single Post
Old 09-15-2021, 02:53 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: dwarf with protruding eye + cancer?

Hi again. He sounds fairly active and that sounds like normal grooming except the eye may be bothering him if it’s head area a lot. Can’t remember but is he on metacam? If not he probably needs to be for pain and discomfort (and can reduce swelling). Sleeping in his sand bath doesn’t sound good with a bad eye. It sounds like the rosewood pico cage? As he’s older he would be much better with a house at floor level that’s open underneath and sat on top of substrate. They like their toilet at floor level as well (maybe uses sand bath as toilet?). It would probably be best to tweak the cage so it only has the one level (ie move the shelves to one level) lower down and a house and food bowl at floor level. Something like a cardboard tissue box with a hole cut in is fine for a house- cutting one side out so it’s open underneath. Also more hygienic as it won’t sweat inside. You could save his nest and hoard and move it to the new house so he doesn’t stress. He’ll probably then use a corner of the cage as a toilet at floor level, which can just be spot cleaned (or put a litter tray there).

Sometimes they only use the ladders and levels because they have to - to get to the house etc. Plenty of substrate at floor level as well. They do much better with more floor area and less height. But in his condition probably best to make the most of the current cage. I’m sure he won’t miss sleeping in his sand bath if you give him a cosy new house at floor level. Important to move his nest into it even if a bit smelly so he uses it. And maybe put a smelly treat inside to tempt him in as well.

Maybe have a phone consultation with vet at least to ask about Metacam or what to look out for if things get worse.

I’m having a similar issue with our Syrian now. He has an eye that has started to look bigger and going to the vet. He had a small cancerous tumour removed recently so I also suspect it could be a tumour but it might be infection as they get things like that when older and more susceptible.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote