View Single Post
Old 08-30-2021, 03:27 AM  
charlottibiscotti
Newborn Pup

Default Re: dwarf with protruding eye + cancer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I would also advise you to get your hamster checked by a hamster knowledgeable vet.

Vets don't come cheap because they are highly trained and skilled professionals but they will not perform an expensive treatment or test without your consent.

They'll diagnose as much as is possible by examination and then present you with the options of how to proceed.

The decision will be down to you.
Thanks for the advice, I’m in the UK. For the cheap vets in my area, I once took a hamster to them with eye protrusion (I was overreacting, he was fine) and the vet tried to show me what eye protrusion would look like by scruffing my hamster really hard and yanking. I was absolutely mortified. Thankfully my hamster was okay.

For the expensive vets in my area, there has been an occasion where a sick, old, dying guinea pig was taken to the vet & needed to be euthanised… they kept her for a day and we told the vet “only do what is necessary to keep her comfortable”. They performed £550 worth of blood tests etc, put her through torture, only to conclude that she couldn’t be helped.

Still, the expensive vets are much better with animals so I’d rather take ginger there. The only problem is that he does get VERY freaked out whenever he goes anywhere new, and he’s old, so putting him under unnecessary stress could do much more harm than good. For reference, a 10 minute hamster consultation where metacam has been prescribed has been £80 before.

Probably a silly question, but is there any way I’d be able to get some metacam without a vet appointment?

If not, I might just show the vet my photos and request that they don’t handle him…

Thanks again.
charlottibiscotti is offline   Reply With Quote