View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 05:38 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: dwarf with protruding eye + cancer?

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but he does need a vet check. With an exotic vet (they know more about hamsters). So they can diagnose the eye and the lump. The lump could be a cyst (although you maybe feel it's a tumour and not a cyst).

He probably does need something prescribing for pain relief (they are good at hiding illness and pain, being prey animals). But yes the eye may need some treatment.

I can see your thinking though - at his age, surgery probably isn't an option and it's a case of keeping him comfortable. And its likely to be a tumour causing his eye to bulge. But keeping them comfortable sometimes needs some treatment or medication.

Also an exotic vet knows a lot more than us - and they can diagnose things we haven't thought of. Sometimes an eye problem can be caused by a tooth infection.

I think a vet would probably prescribe antiobiotics, in case it's an infection - and metacam (which is anti inflammatory and also pain relief). My vet said the anti inflammatory action can have an effect on tumours.

So it does need a vet visit really. For his general welfare. The meds aren't usually too expensive and a vet check shouldn't be too expensive either. It's surgery that gets expensive.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote