View Single Post
Old 06-27-2021, 07:15 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Help!! Hamster escaped!!

Bucket trap! I used it to catch our Syrian who was under the kitchen cupboards somewhere. Almost as soon as the lights were out abd all quiet (maybe half an hour latter) I heard this noise - it was the ruler flipping into the bucket - and there he was in the bucket.

Don’t use peanut butter - too sticky and not really good for them. I had a little trail of sunflower seeds then a tiny bit of cheese near the top then more sunflower seeds and a bit of cucumber as the main “bait” on the end of the ruler over the bucket. I used a 12” wood ruler but any piece of thin wood would do.

So - bucket, pile of books as steps (I found it took a lot if books!). I used large books mainly like cookery books to make a long shallow slope then smaller books near the top. The top book level with the top of the bucket or it won’t work. Slightly higher is ok but slightly lower isn’t. The ruler or wood finely balanced with the treats on so it doesn’t fall in. And a towel or something in the bottom of the bucket so he has a soft landing.

Then go to bed and listen out for a noise. I think that’s important as they can get quite stressed if stuck in the bucket all night I would think.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote