View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 01:32 PM  
goldenage
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Chirping/squeaking or respiratory issue?

Yeah, I actually had heard him squeaking to himself in his nest, so I pulled the camera out just to record the sounds, and he popped his head out to see what was going on.
He squeaked like crazy when I first brought him home and he was exploring everything, which my previous hamster also used to do, so that made me think it's an excitement thing or even an expression of overwhelm. He seemed quite happy when he was chirping nonstop the first night, running around and exploring all his new toys and everything. It's more the fact that he does this when he's just sitting in his nest, plus the little sneezes that worry me.

I am giving him space and just keeping an eye on him, though you are correct, it is tough to leave him be when he's so cute haha. I've handed him a couple of sunflower seeds when he happened to be up and I was changing his food/water, but that's about it. He does make the noises when he's eating and moving around. Not continuously, but a lot. It does seem to be more intense when he's excited, like he was very chatty when he was eating his millet. I'm not hearing clicking or wheezing noises and his nose and eyes look clear thus far.

I'm just worried because of the sneezing that he could have the beginnings of a respiratory infection or something. But if it's nothing then I definitely don't want to rush him to the vet and stress out his little system any further, especially given how young he is. In January I lost my previous hamster to illness so I think I am also just a little extra worried about this guy.
goldenage is offline   Reply With Quote