View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 09:35 AM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: Good first hamster?

I think that there are a lot of misconceptions about what hamster is 'right' as a first hamster but a lot will depend on what you are looking for.
In my experience, a lot of people find that the larger size of a Syrian can mean that they feel easier to hold but I actually find that because I am so used to the Dwarf species, I find that I am more awkward when I'm holding a Syrian.

I tend to find that Syrians are more likely to beg for attention and they enjoy playtimes but they're less likely to sit still than most of the Chinese I've had. Chinese on the other hand can be very loving and trusting but some can be shy and they have been the species that can be the most challenging to get the right cage for. Robos are a lot of fun and I love watching mine when they're out in their cages but they're not a species for cuddling. A healthy, tame Robo is still not going to sit willingly on your hand for long.

I have found that Winter Whites are prone to being a bit overdramatic about things and are often the most vocal but honestly, they're all talk! Quite often at a show you'll hear a Winter White squarking over something minor but when you get them out, they're fine and will look at you as if they don't really know what all the fuss was about either.
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote