View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 06:04 PM  
Littlefriend
Newborn Pup

Smile Hi introducing Hagrid

Hi I’m new to the forum. Been lurking for a few weeks but decided it was time to join. A month ago I brought home Hagrid our pure white Roborovski. This was after a few months of consideration, as every time we went into pets at home to buy food for our gecko, my 8 year old daughter would plead with me to get one. My answer was always, we’ll see. I always liked the idea but didn’t want to jump into it. But the day arrived & we got all we needed & picked Hagrid out & brought him home.
We let him get used to his surroundings for the first week & just sorted his food & water etc. He seemed to be settling fine.
I watched many videos & read many posts about Robos & all about taming.
I purchased a pop up play pen & over the next few nights, used his favourite egg box to lift him out & gave him 10-15 mins out of his cage. We placed our hands in the play pen & just let him investigate. That went well. So then I placed dried mealworms on our hands & he happily sat on our hand & ate it. We just let him decided when he wanted to crawl on our hands for a couple of nights & then progressed to scooping him up. That also went well although at first he did jump off quickly. We have him out in his playpen every night & now that is for about 30 mins. He is happily walking hand to hand with me & tonight he let me stroke his back without running off. Both me & my daughter are very taken with him

His cage is not actually the minimum 80:50 but sadly I was not aware of this at the time we got him. It is 70cm by 40cm as this is all I have space for at the minute. He does seem happy & I will make sure he has daily out of cage time also. It is a plastic bottom & wire top cage with 3inch of carefresh bedding in the bottom, his wheel is 8inch in diameter & he manages that fine (loves it) he has a small nest that he uses under the upper level so nice & dark. He’s fed on P@H muesli for hamsters mixed with nuggets to try & make sure he gets what he needs. He has 1or2 mealworms every other day as treats. I’ve given him small amounts of plain cooked pasta, spinach, Broccoli & Carrot over the last month. He didn’t touch the carrot lol. Just introducing things in small amounts & not all at once.
Wow this has turned into a long post sorry lol.
Anyway pictures below of Hagrid & his home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A4A9DB60-B425-4184-8882-1BB0BB9C0D97.jpeg (33.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpeg 680346D1-6D8A-4885-B462-4101B02AAB49.jpeg (49.7 KB, 19 views)
Littlefriend is offline   Reply With Quote