View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 06:55 AM  
yasmin_the_hamster
Newborn Pup

Default Re: First time hamster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmolly View Post
i’m not really sure how these things works but i am a first time hamster owner and have so many questions so i thought i would just put them all in one and hope that i at least get some answers.

So before i start here’s a little back story, my younger sibling really wanted a pet hamster so obviously my parents cracked and got her one. However she is really young and soon the joy of having a hamster wore of and now i have decided to take matters into my own hands. I find it really sad how my sister just thought this hamster could be her little toy when in reality it’s a living creature that needs love and care. From the research i’ve been doing i’ve discovered my hamster is a hybrid and is a dwarf, i upgraded him into a massive cage and he does seem to be doing well. He has been coming onto my hands and taking food off which is great. Now since i m new to all this and didn’t get too much time to research i thought i would come on here and ask some questions.

What time do your hamsters usually wake up? My hamster is usually awake for a bit in the day and doesn’t wake up until super late at night, is that normal?

When is the best time to get him out to play etc? Is it best later at night, in the day or in the morning

What are some low sugar/fat treats for dwarfs? At the moment i’ve been using sunflower seeds for taming but is there anything else that is lower in fat?

How to pick a dwarf hamster up? this is a bit of an odd one but i’m wondering what is the best method for dwarfs is it cupping?

What is a good diet for him and how often should i feed him?

When is best to top up his food/veggies? in the morning or at night?
and how do i get him into a routine of getting used to getting up at certain times etc?

I’m just a bit worried as he doesn’t come out much at night and wakes up very late and goes to sleep very early, i would say he wakes up at around midnight and goes to sleep at 5 am, is that normal? or should he be sleeping earlier and going to bed earlier?
Also if i ever want to get him out of his cage i usually have to wake him up as he is never up when i am up, is that okay as when he is up he does seem fine.
Another thing i notice is sometimes when i have to wake him up he just won’t come out of bed he will keep digging a burrowing and won’t get up, thsi is okay most of the time but sometimes when i need to change him it isn’t i deal, is there anyway to stop this and is there some sort of method to get him up?

Also, one more important thing. Try to make sure you know veterinarians in your area, who can take care of hamsters. Save their number and also save some money upfront, or talk to this with your parents. The most sad thing I read about how owners have sick animals and cannot afford a medical care for it. So please, try to do what you can to make sure, your hamster will get medical help when needed.

Last edited by yasmin_the_hamster; 02-02-2021 at 07:11 AM.
yasmin_the_hamster is offline   Reply With Quote