Thread: Mistress Poppy
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 12:02 PM  
Rads
The Hamographer

Default Re: Mistress Poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I think either way, the hamster goes when the time is right. Having had to have three pts (the last two with a good vet) I would have no hesitation in doing that if the time is right, to avoid a slow painful death just to die at home in their nest. I used to think having then pts was an awful idea but it really can be the best option to save suffering and help them.

The difficulty is knowing if or when it’s the right time.

Metacam sounds like a good idea but I have also learned over the years it is not enough if they have pain from cancer. There isn’t the equivalent of morphine for hamsters.

If she is having some quality of life then it probably isn’t the right time. Unless you decide she is suffering. It does sound like she’s in her twilight time with the swelling and weight loss. With Newt the swelling got so bad I was worried he would burst, then his ears were down all the time and I knew he needed help. He could hardly walk by then because of the swelling.

People used to say - if they are eating ok then they have quality of life. But our vet explained to me that with cancer they still eat and it doesn’t mean they are enjoying their food - it is a thing they do because the cancer creates cravings- which is how they can eat a lot and still lose weight. Which is what was happening with Nugget. He was still active and eating but looking awful. And was in pain. So that was it.

Does she enjoy anything in her cage any more? Also you can tell by facial expression sometimes if they are in pain - a drawn look as if the ears are pulled back and stretching the face muscles back so the eyes look a bit slitty (vet said that was recent research - the pain “look”). Hunching and ears down all the time are other signs.

It may not be cancer- it could be gradual organ failure. But you will know if she needs help.

With Charlie he took to his nest but it went on like that for days and he didn’t just go. I wished I had taken him earlier to be pts.

Our vet will only pts if they have gas anaesthetic first and that I find very reassuring. Not all vets do this so it’s always best to ask/request it. It means you can’t be there but it’s ok - you say goodbye and the vet can take then in their own little house or favourite hidey place that you take with you. They know you are helping them when (if) it comes to it.

Keep an eye on the bloating.

So sorry you are having this - dear little Poppy.
Serendipity,
Thank you for your insight,
Poppy has taken a downturn of such, she hasn't been eating her fresh foods from her bowl, she takes a blueberry from my hand that's all really.
Popps only comes out of her nest to go to the loo and look at her food bowls etc.
Her ears are often down when she isn't asleep she has bright eyes though her ears never really get up properly.
When I do get her out for her cleanings once she has stopped being cantankerous she seems to perk up, but her walk is just a slow waddle.
being horrid I do wish she would pass in her sleep, but she just keeps hanging on, she doesn't seem to be in pain as soon as she does then I will take things to a head and she will be pts.
Rads is offline   Reply With Quote